Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey thank you for all the replies and help. Much appreciated. I just noticed you have a gl1100. I also have an 82 that is my everyday rider. Well about 6 months of the year being in Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just be aware that if you are going to take the clutch hub off, you either need a hub holder or at least put the bike in gear and FIRMLY keep the back brake applied so there is no wheel movement as the special hub nut is unscrewed.
Failure to hold the clutch centre properly will result in broken hub posts.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good to know. I've only removed the lifter plate and springs not knowing I did not need to to remove the trans cover. As expected had a completely torn through gasket. Now just waiting on snail mail for the new one.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
I usually cut my own. Everything except the head gaskets can be cut from 0.8mm (1/32") gasket paper. If you are careful you can cut a whole set from a roll of paper that costs less than one of the larger gaskets and if you have some on hand you can have the gasket you need in a few minutes.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've been buying the first gasket then copying them for when I need another. I have a whole roll of gasket, just can't figure out how to get a transfer from the part onto it.

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
Clean the part, sit it on the gasket sheet and trace around it. I started out using the pieces of the old gasket to figure out the shape of the inside and where the holes go (you can also cut the outside and some of the holes, then use a few bolts to keep it lined up while you press the gasket against the inner edge to mark where to cut it). Over the years I've managed to save a just about complete used one of each type that I can use for patterns.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yes that would save a bit of money. Time to get the pencil out I suppose. This trans gasket looks daunting tho...

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
Gentle tapping with the ball end of a ball peen hammer can transfer the shape to the gasket paper. Using a couple of bolts to hold the paper in place is a good idea.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
You guys are awesome. Learning something new every day. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
16,628 Posts
We learned in high school auto shop to use a ball peen hammer to cut gaskets for steel and cast iron engine parts. I have used it on aluminum parts a few times but I'm always concerned that it is too easy to damage the part if the hammer is harder. That's why I just press the gasket sheet against the edge of the part with my fingers to mark it and use scissors & a knife to actually cut it. A cheap set of hollow punches makes short work of the bolt holes.

BTW: After seeing the condition of a few old gaskets I started making changes to the ones I cut to strengthen the weak areas, make them fit better or make them a bit easier to cut. The pic below shows an Athena rear cover gasket (virtually identical to the Honda one) compared to the way I cut them. The area indicated hits the automatic camchain tensioner adjuster (as found in CX/GL650 and UK/European GL500) making installation of the cover more fiddly than necessary. I also leave more material around the holes for the coolant passages and leave the inside straight across the bottom and punch a few small holes in areas that were originally scalloped so that oil can still flow from the rear cover to the sump. And I added a scallop on the left side after finding a gasket with the original shape rubbing on the starter idler gear (it made a terrible noise).

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

Giving it a shot without buying first gasket. Still tracing it out on cardboard so I have a stencil on hand for future use. I normally use semi rubber black gasket material but could only find cork material that fit the trans cover. Any drawbacks to using cork?

·
Super Moderator
22,554 Posts
There should be no issue with using cork as long as it is the right thickness.

The Honda gasket is .8 mm thick. If you go much thicker the O rings between block and oil pump may not be compressed sufficiently to seal the oil pressure when assembled.

·
Registered
7,350 Posts
View attachment 208440

Giving it a shot without buying first gasket. Still tracing it out on cardboard so I have a stencil on hand for future use. I normally use semi rubber black gasket material but could only find cork material that fit the trans cover. Any drawbacks to using cork?
never used cork, but most any decent Auto parts store in the US should have a roll of
View attachment 208440

Dont know about cork, but any decent auto parts store should haVE A ROOL OF .8MM FELT-
View attachment 208440

Don't know about cork, but any decent auto parts store in the US should have a roll of .8mm felt-pro gasket material

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Perfect, I found 1/32 with is .79mm like sidecar bob said to use. I'll get one cut out and upload it before installing Incase anyone sees any tweeks I should make.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts