Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to me 81 custom, PO said was coming from trans cover gasket and he smeared silicon? Over it. After aquiring it yesterday, it lost approx half quart oil during twenty minute ride. Just pored out under the fan along the cover. Tore it down and found this. Just wondering if anyone else has had this same looking leak before I go tearing into things. Maybe tach seal? Also no oil in coolant nor coolant in oil.

·
Super Moderator
4,677 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
I'd suspect the cam oil seal. Any oil leaking from there gets blown around by the fan. Clean the area then run the engine briefly, that should allow you to find the leak,

Reactions: Del

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
When in that area (assuming its the cam oil seal) you may want to replace the tach-housing oil seal and cable as well...(maybe even replace the tach cable screw will an allen head)....both these smaller items can be a bit fiddly when all is assembled again

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the leak I noticed was the circled area, I'm just going to do all the front end gaskets and seals since it's stripped this far.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You may a few leak sites...but your plan will cover that.
If you cant get to that lil tach oil seal...(there are threads on that) a good dab of sealant round the tach cable entry point will suffice til next cable replacement/lube.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should be able to get that one replaced. Weird thing is that all the forward gaskets look original and black in color yet the huge crankcase gasket rear of the heads is green and looks new

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nolimitz will keep an eye out thanks. Hopefully won't have to go that deep.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,291 Posts
It is fairly common for the transmission cover gasket to pull in at the upper right corner (right where you circled) and allow oil to spray out. When that happened on my GL500 I had to wear rubber boots and carry a rag to wipe the right one off whenever I stopped (and a bottle of oil) until I could fix it. The fan can pull the spray up behind the rad and deposit it on the camshaft holder, looking much like your pic.
But it is also not unheard of for the camshaft's oil seal or the gasket behind the holder to leak too so it probably wouldn't hurt to replace them even if they aren't the current problem.
Note that the valve springs will exert pressure on the camshaft and try to push it off centre when you remove the holder so it is usually recommended to loosen the rocker adjusters as much as possible to minimize the pressure and re-set the valve clearances afterward.
BTW: One if the positions you need to set the engine to while adjusting the valve clearances is the same as is required for setting the camchain tensioner adjuster so if you do the tensioner at the same time it only adds about 10 seconds to adjusting the valve clearances.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your time and info. I can see gasket sticking out on both sides of my circle but not inside. I will deff do what you said with the adjustments while it's all apart. I'm very excited for this bike and to learn about it.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went and bout a 14mm wheel stud and got the fan shroud off. The cam seal was sitting half way out from where it should have been. Also there was oil under the tach cable above the seal. I cleaning it all up and Sonic cleaning anything I can then I'm going to replace all front end gaskets and seals.

Will be down longer than I like but will be worth it. Plus half the fun of bikes to me is wrenching and getting to know my machines.

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do like a few things on there. Will keep that in mind specialty since my wife breaks all my mugs

·
Registered
81 cx500 custom
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Does anyone know when removing and installing the clutch lifter plate, do I have to go very slow and alternate not to snap a side off like I did on my old cb750?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,291 Posts
I also have various CX/GL500/650 related emblems and other bike related designs in the shop. Have a look at Antonio Guard's shop too (threads for both shops are among the sticky threads in the Selling & Buying section).

I like to loosen each bolt in stages to keep the plate more or less parallel until the tension is off of the springs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts