Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks, uh.. somehow lost my old account email/password. I've bought a new project I'm eager to get working on but trying to fix the last few issues with my 82 GL500i, the front brake lever doesn't activate the brake light, but the back brake pedal does. I don't know a damn thing about electrical, but I have a multimeter I should learn how to use. My main suspect are these mystery green wires under the seat, but I'm not sure where they should attach to. The PO had some highway lights added to the front fairing, so I'm not sure if this may be part of, or an issue due to those. There's also a green plug-thing here near the battery that doesn't seem to have anywhere to plug into.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
The green plug-thing here near the battery is a spare ground, perfect if you want to use a three pin flasher unit.
I can't tell from the picture but if one of those mystery wires is white with green tracer it could be for the brake light switch.

·
Super Moderator
13,422 Posts
Welcome back. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model number to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

If you haven't already done so go to the CX Wiki (link in my signature) and get the Factory Shop Manual for your model as well as the Honda Common Service Manual, the colour wiring drawing and the Honda Wire Color Codes chart.
BTW: In addition to the wires pictured there is a brown wire in the wiring box (in the headlight on un-faired models) that isn't normally connected either. It is for the parking light, a small bulb in the headlight that turns on with the tail light for the UK and other places where lights are required when parking on unlit roadways.

I'm with nolimitz that your likely culprit is the brake light switch on the master cylinder. If you are lucky the switch may just need adjustment it isn't uncommon for them to fail after a few decades either (they are inexpensive and commonly available).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks gents, the white wire with the green line.. i followed it all the way through, made sure it was all in place, threw my hands up in frustration, checked the master cylinder and it was just loose...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts