Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
1983 GL650i
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my GL650i in January and rode it to home to Brooklyn from Pottstown, PA. (It started right up and runs great.) A few days later I removed the fuel tank and heard a rattling sound, something big and heavy, too big to extract through the fill hole. My best theory is a previous owner tried to line the tank, it didn't take, and whatever he used formed a solid rock that's been there ever since. I emptied the tank, removed the petcock and filter, sealed the hole, and filled it with acetone, then let it sit for a month, hoping the acetone would dissolve the mystery substance. It softened it up a bit but otherwise didn't have much effect. Someone suggested I take the tank to a radiator shop and let them flush it, but the shop hesitated for fear of destroying a forty year old, somewhat rusted gas tank. At this point I'm open to suggestions. I'd even consider replacing the original tank with a similarly sized tank from a different bike. I suppose I could just leave the rock in there, since it seems to be impervious, but I don't much care for that idea. Any insights? The picture is of a piece I managed to chip off.
Brown Tints and shades Artifact Font Wood

Registered
On a serious note...acetone will disolve most things....but u maybe need to b sure its not fuel soluble dont want it gunking things up....

Registered
1981 CX500C
Hmmm....maybe best just to leave it be. Assuming it doesn't interfere with fuel flow.

Try the acetone. If it doesn't dissolve, then gas won't like dissolve it either. If the acetone affects it, then it should probably be removed. May need to cut a hole in the bottom on the tank and braze on a patch.

The only down side of leaving it is a decrease in fuel capacity.

Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
I'm thinking the same as Newt. It looks like some kind of plastic, probably an epoxy or similar so it probably won't do any harm but note that depending on where it is in the tank the reduction in fuel capacity could be in the reserve.

BTW, this would be a good time to add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile like I asked you too do 7 months ago (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

Registered
1983 GL650i
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not a fan of the visual lines of the tank and the way they merge into the side panels, so I'll ultimately either be doing some major work to it or replacing it altogether. In the meantime I just want to get it cleaned up and ride the bike as it is, blemishes and all. I have another bike but it would be a shame to let the season pass without putting some miles on the GL650.

Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
If you are contemplating changes it is always best to use it for a while first so that you know which changes will make it do what you want/need it to better. That method is far more likely to produce something you like riding while making changes based on style or what someone else (who may not have understood what they were doing) did more often results in an expensive piece of yard art that you can't stand sitting on very long and could even be dangerous.

As for the capacity of the tank, I always recommend anyone acquiring a new to them bike or changing anything like the fuel tank or even the petcock to fill the tank, reset the trip odometer, put a small gas can (full) in the saddlebag and take note of the trip odometer's reading when you have to switch to reserve and again when you finally run out and have to use that gas can. If you do that and reset the trip meter at every fill up you should have a good idea of how much farther you can go before you need to switch to reserve and how urgent it is to find a place to fill up after that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts