Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would start a thread on what I am doing to the old girl this winter.

- Finish fixing the damage from the crash a couple of months ago

- Replace left muffler and seal both up better

- fix lights, lost a couple of signals

- Fix center stand, it wobbles now, and replace side stand arm that was missing when I got the bike

- Install new tires

- replace the front cam seal

- rebuild the fuel valve, diaphragm is torn

So far I replaced the bent up left muffler and installed the new rear tire, I will probably look at changing the front tire tomorrow and probably the turn signals. I am going to wait until after Christmas to replace the front cam seal just because that is going to take some time to get done.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Cool. Always good to have a plan. A list.

Then you can check stuff off as it gets done - feels good! Almost as good as riding!

I'm inspired.

I wanna build some custom bike specific luggage stuff - maybe a bag custom made to fit

on the rear seat that doubles as a back rest - that kinda stuff....

And of course theres always maintianence stuff.....

Heck...... I could spend a month just cleaning!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Tell me about it. I've got a cheap grinder motor at work with buffing wheels, OldOkie has a far more powerful one. I've been stripping clear coat, putting some initial polish to the parts then he finishes them off. Never could get the oil filter cover to take a polish though so I'm just going to repaint and clear coat it.

Lately it's been too cold to do much of anything outside so I'm putting new strings on my Gibson 12-string which is a project in itself.

[EDIT:] Darn, couldn't find my guitar cleaner/polish/wax stuff, had to make a run down to the local Guitar Center. Traffic on the Lake Hefner Speedway was 80 mph in the right lane alone, glad I was driving my car with the 'vette suspension as it was a really hairy trip.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got ambitious and changed the front tire as well today, what a pain, it is a tight fit but I got it on.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Most of the postings I read about with people complaining about the front wheel (the one going on) being tight don't move the inside of the tire to the inside of the rim in the grove. Doing it that way will make the rubber go on easier.

Old tires on the other hand are their own problem. I have read several postings saying that if a tire is past a certain age and of no use anymore they break the bead and cut the tire off instead of risking hurting the rim or themselves.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, I had one knee on the opposite side of the tire that I was working on to keep it in the center groove, one knee on one tire iron to keep one side from walking out again, one hand on a second tire iron to keep the other side from walking out and with my free hand I had a third iron to peel the bead over with
I think the problem was that the ID of the tire is almost exactly the same as the wheel and it wasn't coming out of the center groove on the side I was working on, this is at the end getting the last little bit of the second bead over, so it was all just very stiff. Had to put in about 75-80 PSI before the bead seated too, the rear popped in place at about 60 psi. Tomorrow I will get the lights all fixed up so I can at least ride the bike and use it to escape when my grandmother, who by the way hates the bike
, is here.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
My grandmother hates mine too. But she didn't say anything bad when I dropped in this summer after doing 300 mile on it to get to her place.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My grandmother hates mine too. But she didn't say anything bad when I dropped in this summer after doing 300 mile on it to get to her place.

All on one tank of gas too
My grandmother lives 14,000 miles away so I don't think I will be doing that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Australia

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The flight actually isn't that bad if you can manage to fall asleep, it becomes a long night because you take off as the sun is going down and land just after sun up.

I know it has been covered a million times already but what pressure are you running your tires at again Stitch?

I got the turn signals all fixed, sorta, and took it out for a quick 20 mile loop, the new tires are real smooth, got them nice and balanced. My Icon 29er gloves are definitely not well suited for 40 deg. weather though, oh the pain. Unfortunately for some reason my right turn signal light on the gauge cluster stopped working, the two actual signals work fine though so I think it is just the bulb. The new riding pants were good, still real stiff though so hopefully they will loosen up after a few rides and cleans, they got a bit of tire spray on them today because there was a little water on the road still so I will probably give them a wash.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If I may, tire pressure for the front is always 25 P.S.I., regardless of load, Rear is 28 up to 200lb load and 36 P.S.I.

when fully loaded, as per the manual. Personally I run 26 front and 30 - 32 rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.