Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if anyone else in my area was keen to snag these, but I found this outstanding set of Vetter bags with good, clean mounts and a trunk with a luggage rack; even came with the original wiring harness. So I spontaneously went on a 1.5 hour trip to Rochester MN. It was definitely worth it, they're incredibly clean in and out and just needed a wipe-down. I picked them up from a nice gent in Rochester MN who pulled them off a Suzuki 850 and looked after them pretty well. $100 later, the whole lot is in my garage and I'm working out how to rig all the mounting hardware to fit.

The luggage mounts are already an exact fit and the support bars end perfectly at the passenger foot-peg mounts but have a funny end on them for the 850—just need to hack and flatten (or recap) the ends maybe..? The mounts for the trunk were specifically for the 850. There would be too much alteration for those to fit so I grabbed some luggage mounts (bars only) specifically for Jenny on Ebay. I can hook those bars into the rack that the trunk is already mounted on.

IMG_20180805_211232435.jpg

IMG_20180805_211314477.jpg

The pin striping will be removed so they'll color match the rest of the bike. I'm hoping these will come in handy for some long distances come fall.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Great ! Nothing succeeds like success . Enjoy the long and safe trips.

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
boggiesox

i have had 4 or 5 sets of those bags over the years since they came out they are great with one issue

so a word of warning if you load them up for a trip i take 2 zip ties and criss cross then around the frame and lock on tje saddle bag

if you hit a bump or a pot hole the bags when weighted can pop out of the lock and eject themselves it happened to me a few time

and many other vetter owners i know over the years

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Now that you mention it, the locking system of a cam against some tensioned steel rods seems to trade a lot of security for convenience. Good thing I always ride with zip ties.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to use my imagination a bit to mount the bags on a CX500C. Here goes:

IMG_20180810_172319690.jpg
First, I used a pipe cutter to remove the non-CX ends from the mounting brackets. I used the vice to start flattening the ends parallel to the rest of the bracket and finished by hammering them completely flat. Then, I drilled them to mount where the passenger pegs go.

IMG_20180812_172532829.jpg
The result is quite secure. I drilled the hole for the ends so that the mounts would sit as far back in the rear mounting point as possible.

IMG_20180812_152422515.jpg
The brackets do have mounting points for the rear turn signals. However, the stocks for the CX500C are intended to be mounted in the stock grab bar. There's a generous amount that's unthreaded that require spacers to be mounted. While I could have just sandwiched the original 3/8" I.D. washer against the unthreaded shaft, they would stick out farther than I'd like. I came up with this to minimize the amount that the signals stick out without the clamping bolt hitting the bracket.

It's 2 flanged bronze bushings. One is 1/2" and the other 3/4"(?) with a steel collar at the end (wow, these things weren't cheap). All this stuff is 1/2" I.D.—close enough. The steel collar allows me to tighten the mounting nut so the signal angle is secure but still pliable. Then I can tighten the set screw and tighten the mounting nut some more without affecting that play.

IMG_20180812_153240241.jpg
As you can see, the stock rubber cap fits around the collar quite nicely.

IMG_20180812_172502955.jpg
Signal wiring and grounding seem to be working well. Time to fit the bags.

IMG_20180812_172705491.jpg
There's a nice amount of clearance and the bags frame the signals perfectly at this offset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts