Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I was hoping to start one of these threads a couple months further into the process, but I have some initial questions as I start my CX500 build. I'm very new to this whole thing, but do have experience working on Hondas cars, so I'm not totally in the dark.

1. I picked up an abandoned CX500 project last week and am trying to sort through any modifications that may have been done. My eyes aren't as keen as yours, so I was hoping that maybe you guys you give it an ocular pat down and let me know if you see any obvious mods (I did notice that the rear suspension has been upgraded as well as the handlebars)

2. The top end of the motor needs to be rebuilt. I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with it, since it doesn't run. I'm curious if it's worth the hassle of untangling that mess or should I just purchasing a new motor all together?

bR4PquG.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
I'd be mostly worried about your drive shaft angle...it looks way too steep to me. They have a tolerance of something like +/- 4.5 degrees. Your pushing 15 or better from what it looks like. It may be better on the ground, but mine doesn't droop that much on the stand.

You look like you have your work ahead of you, but it does have potential. You might be better off finding a running CX500 on CL or the like and use it as a donor bike for your project. With a cool name like CX5HUNDO, you HAVE to build it now :)

Either way, good luck with your journey!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You think the driveshaft angle be due to the aftermarket coils? Part of the reason I asked this question initially was because of how steep the bike looked in the front. It's interesting that it was actually the rear.

I've had that same thought about a donor bike and have been looking around for one -- unfortunately, it seems like everything around here is $1500-2500, which makes it a bit cost prohibitive. I have the time and space, so I'm not really in a huge rush, thankfully.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yes, I'm sure that's what's causing it. I ran down to the garage just now and with mine up on the center stand, the back wheel is about 2" off the ground. Yours seems to be touching. You could go back to stock coils, but without knowing what other changes have been made, it's hard to tell if that will bring everything back in line.

You'll find a donor bike soon enough!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A couple updates on my bike. I've spent the past week or two stripping everything down, getting it ready for powder coating. I picked up an angle grinder and went to town cutting off the rear-end of the seat area (does that have a name?) and shaving off some unwanted brackets. Very fun, but definitely an art.

A buddy of mine hooked me up with a welder who was able to attach the seat hoop, make me a pan and fix some of the mistakes I made when I ground everything off. So far, super stoked on his work. I'm waiting patiently for some quotes to come back on powder coating. Hoping to drop it off next week to get sand blasted and coated black.

tumblr_naovtvloYA1tjgpx5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_natytspGHj1tjgpx5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nau8ohExbb1tjgpx5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nauhe8LXRv1tjgpx5o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nbht4yivt61tjgpx5o1_1280.jpg

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I suggest that you measure the length of those shocks, anything over 11.5" is just too long.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I suggest that you measure the length of those shocks, anything over 11.5" is just too long.

The shocks seem too long yes, but 11,5" ? My standard shocks are 13" already these are from a cx z '79.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts