Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got these about 2 weeks ago but hadn't had any time to put them on until today.  Still haven't been able to ride with them yet, but I'm hoping they help keep my hands a bit warmer.  The past 2 years I've kept riding fairly comfortably until about 45 F, but below that my hands just get too damn cold.  I know heated grips would be the ulitmate answer but I like keeping things simple.  These are bigger than I thought they'd be but if they work I'll be happy.  What do y'all think, stupid looking or no?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Got these about 2 weeks ago but hadn't had any time to put them on until today.  Still haven't been able to ride with them yet, but I'm hoping they help keep my hands a bit warmer.  The past 2 years I've kept riding fairly comfortably until about 45 F, but below that my hands just get too damn cold.  I know heated grips would be the ulitmate answer but I like keeping things simple.  These are bigger than I thought they'd be but if they work I'll be happy.  What do y'all think, stupid looking or no?

I think they look good kinda like when i had my endoro and way cheaper then the alternative might try that on my 1980 honda cx500 now to find a cheap windshield for mine would be awesome

·
Registered
382 Posts
Got these about 2 weeks ago but hadn't had any time to put them on until today. Still haven't been able to ride with them yet, but I'm hoping they help keep my hands a bit warmer. The past 2 years I've kept riding fairly comfortably until about 45 F, but below that my hands just get too damn cold. I know heated grips would be the ulitmate answer but I like keeping things simple. These are bigger than I thought they'd be but if they work I'll be happy. What do y'all think, stupid looking or no?

I don't think they look bad at all and will look forward to a review of them later when it gets cold. I have heated grips on mine and although they help, they're not the answer for when the temp drops below freezing as the outside of your hands die. I ended up using "Hippo Hands" which look kind of dorky but combined with heated grips, allow me to ride all winter long if the road isn't slick.

The picture isn't of my bike but it gives you an idea of what Hippo Hands look like. Basically it's a padded cocoon that you slide your hands into and it keeps them in a dead air space so they don't freeze. They're held on with velcro so you can take them off when you don't need them. Trust me, you won't leave them on when you don't need them because of how dorky they look. But they sure do work well.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
I've been considering a set this fall, but I have no experience with them.

I need details. What did you buy, and where? Any problems in mounting them?

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
993 Posts
I think they look good with your windshield and will help some. Hippo hands are regarded well...

The butane powered mittens modified to slip into the Hippo Hands might be an alternate solution if it doesn't get too cold.

The CX500 puts off quite a bit of heat I have noticed on my rides of late so that will help keep my thighs warm in the winter as long as I'm not doing 75mph on the freeway.

What's the source for the hand/brush guards

Where did you get the Hippo Hands?

·
Registered
511 Posts
As long as they extend the riding season they are great.

maybe during the heat of summer they could be popped off. They look just fine.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
They look fine

heated grips are nice but those will help prevent wind chill from moving air

anyone who rides year round (barring snow and ice) will see the use of them

I'm thinking of adding something similar to mine but in keeping with my

design standards and the overall theme of the bike

they'll be ugly and cheap

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
They look fine

heated grips are nice but those will help prevent wind chill from moving air

anyone who rides year round (barring snow and ice) will see the use of them

I'm thinking of adding something similar to mine but in keeping with my

design standards and the overall theme of the bike

they'll be ugly and cheap

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've been considering a set this fall, but I have no experience with them.

I need details. What did you buy, and where? Any problems in mounting them?

Thanks,

R

I bought these from BikeBandit, total was $70 shipping included. I bought the accessory, extra large wind blocker unit which was about $10 extra, so the base price is about $60. I had to buy the mounting kit as the guards themselves don't come with anything to mount with. These are Powermadd Star series, I liked them because they have snap-in wind blockers you can buy that are bigger than the standard (that's what is showing in the pictures). You can take those pieces out and you're left with a 1/2 mesh that will let the air in if it's hot, that way I won't have to take them off in summer. That's the idea at least, can't say if it'll work just yet though.

I did ride to work with them today and while it wasn't cold, there's a definitely pocket of dead air around my hands now. Without out them, when I have my short gloves on the wind blows right up my sleeves, today no wind up the sleeve. On my way home today I'll take the piece off and see how effective the mesh plastic is at letting air through, and if I have time I'll try to post up a picture of the separate pieces.

Mounting was pretty easy, I didn't have to move my controls at all side-to-side, and just had to rotate them a little bit up to position the guards. It's a solid mounting system, a metal arm with some solid bolts so it's not going anywhere. The hard part was figuring out which arm was left and which was right as they are bent at an angle and if you try to put them on the wrong side nothing will fit right. Once the arms are mounted you can adjust the mounting position of the guards themselves, the instructions show 4 different options for mounting the guards to the arms. Basically you have about an inch left/right to work with and maybe 1/2 inch front to back to get the position just right.

I could have bought cheaper ones off ebay but I like the adjustability of these. If they keep my fingers from going numb they'll be worth it.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I think the guards are great.I tried a pair of handlebar muffs.They came off after one ride.Didn't like the way they impeded my control of the bike

I've since made myself some heated inner gloves that work nice and am going to fit some heat wire to the seat I'm recovering

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
Thanks, Kingston.

I noticed that you've got aftermarket bars on your Deluxe. I wonder if it will be different with the stock bars on my Standard.

R

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
Mounting was pretty easy, I didn't have to move my controls at all side-to-side, and just had to rotate them a little bit up to position the guards. It's a solid mounting system, a metal arm with some solid bolts so it's not going anywhere. The hard part was figuring out which arm was left and which was right as they are bent at an angle and if you try to put them on the wrong side nothing will fit right. Once the arms are mounted you can adjust the mounting position of the guards themselves, the instructions show 4 different options for mounting the guards to the arms. Basically you have about an inch left/right to work with and maybe 1/2 inch front to back to get the position just right.
Which mounting kit did you use, the ATV & BMotorcycle Mount Kit or the Tri-Mount Kit?

Thanks,

R

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Find a snowmobile accessory dealer and you will find they are cheaper and much better selection (colors,sizes).

I overpaid for a set of Barkbusters(bike specific), but they are a very nice quality, just a tad pricey.

Try this site Royal I should have.

·
Registered
45 Posts
They will grow on you as you ride with them during the cold. I love the ones on my bike. I use electric gloves also ,and typically ride down to 15-20 degrees commuting to and from work. my hands are the only thing still warm when i arrive!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Which mounting kit did you use, the ATV & BMotorcycle Mount Kit or the Tri-Mount Kit?

Thanks,

R

I don't remember the exact name, it was the cheaper of the 2 options, I think the first one? As for the bars, I have daytona bent bars, which are a bit lower than the standard with a little less pullback, but I think there's probably enough adjustability to work with many different bends.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts