Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a very productive day! I got my motor completely assembled and put it back in the frame. I have spark on both plugs, and the starter is turning the motor. I did not have time to get the fuel line hooked up and fire it up. By the time I was ready to do that, I was exhausted, dehydrated, and running out of light. I figured it would be better to get a good nights sleep and not play with gas until I was thinking straight.
Hopefully, tomorrow I will get to hear her run. I am still wrestling with the h-box to get the old rusty end of an old muffler out of it. So, maybe by the end of the week it will be ride-able.

Here is a bad picture, but again, I ran out of light.

I do have two issues not related to the motor.

1. When I turn the key on, my front and real turn signals light up solid. I believe this is correct. When I turn a turn signal on, the rear signal flashes, but the front signal turns off. This happens with both left and right turn signals. What would cause this?

2. I put a brand new starter solenoid in. The old one did not work at all. The new one works some times, but does not work consistently. I have metered the start switch, and it seems to work, but the solenoid does not always click. Perhaps the switch is intermittent?

3. In the wire harness that comes from the stator, there is a single black wire with a terminal ring connector on it. What does that connect to? Is it just a ground?

·
Registered
1982 GL500
314 Posts
Congratulations on getting the motor in. I think the single black wire goes to the neutral switch. Although I think the wire itself is actually green (perhaps with a stripe) and the black is just a cover. I would wait for someone else to confirm this before you hook it up, though.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations on getting the motor in. I think the single black wire goes to the neutral switch. Although I think the wire itself is actually green (perhaps with a stripe) and the black is just a cover. I would wait for someone else to confirm this before you hook it up, though.

That makes sense. So, now I just need to find the neutral switch.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
1. When I turn the key on, my front and real turn signals light up solid.

Normally on a CX,,the front signals are lit all the time, but the rear lights only come on when they flash,,they should not stay lit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I noticed that between the center detent and either side of the blinker switch is a no-man's land that causes my blinkers to turn off in the front. I haven't checked the back, but I make sure I push the knob all the way, so my blinkers will work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you test blinkers with the bike running? New flasher relay?

I had already put a new relay in. I did notice that my battery was only at 11.5v when I was testing the lights. I have put trouble shooting the flashers on hold for the time being. It seems I did not properly set the floats when I rebuilt the carbs. So after I get back from a 10 day business trip, I am going to get the carbs out and fix that issue. Then hopefully I can get the motor running and test the flashers with the motor running and a charged battery.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the GL, and most likely the CX and every other Honda of the day, the front turn signal bulbs are dual filament. One is the turn signal, and the other is the marker light (park light on a car). When you turn on a turn signal, the marker light for that side is turned off so the blinking turn signal can be seen. So, it appears that your marker lights are functioning, but your turns are not. Time to get into that headlight housing with a volt meter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.