41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's a great idea but I still need to bring the turbo up a couple more inches and hardline the return so that way it drains smoothly. I currently don't even like the setup I have now since the return line still goes up a little and then back down. I will take care of this when I install the new setup :D

Thought: Why not drill and tap the inspection cover hole for the oil return? You'll get more oil splash on the rotor, which may help cool the stator and lead to a longer stator life. Just a thought.

Charles.

·
Registered
24,174 Posts
chase were you as surprised by that illusion malbec turning purple instead of the dark maroon i thought it would be?

i looked like it would match the color of my naked 81 cafe gl1100

when i did them and it turned that color i just started stripping them again

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Very much so, just because of the description and other customer photos I was really under the impression that the color would be just that. Instead I pulled out the peices then cool down and very shortly found out that it wasn't a dark maroon. I have even powdered it differently along with shorter or longer times in the oven and just couldn't get that red I was looking for. This was my last attempt (for now) and it's kind of grown on me. It's still a very cool color but I would really like to get that darker maroon if I could.

chase were you as surprised by that illusion malbec turning purple instead of the dark maroon i thought it would be?

i looked like it would match the color of my naked 81 cafe gl1100

when i did them and it turned that color i just started stripping them again

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
It's a great idea but I still need to bring the turbo up a couple more inches and hardline the return so that way it drains smoothly. I currently don't even like the setup I have now since the return line still goes up a little and then back down. I will take care of this when I install the new setup :D
If you raise the turbo, you might run into issues with your fuel line going up hill. Also, be sure to put some insulation under your seat, you are about to have a 1000 degree seat warmer. You can get those insulated covers for the hot side of the turbo, that might help too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
If I do end up doing that I will just put in a low pressure fuel pump. I found out the whole seat warmer thing the first time I took it out for a couple hours. It doesn't get too hot but I am currently looking for a turbo blanket or reflective shielding to stick on the bottom of it.

If you raise the turbo, you might run into issues with your fuel line going up hill. Also, be sure to put some insulation under your seat, you are about to have a 1000 degree seat warmer. You can get those insulated covers for the hot side of the turbo, that might help too.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
If you have an airport nearby, better yet an aircraft maintenance base, ask around to see if there are some scrap pieces of engine insulating blankets. I would have access to some if I was still working. The stuff is super light, but very effective. It has a reflective foil-like outer face, and has lacing holes for safety wire.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey cool motorcycle. I'm building my motorcycle, what carburetor is installed? can you provide a link or a model for this carburetor?

41 - 54 of 54 Posts