Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,455 Posts
What donor is that front end from? That's the first time I've seen a rim-mounted disc.

R

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
Here you go
Yeah, I got it enlarged like that too......but it still looks like the banjo fitting goes to a frame piece, not the caliper body. What am I missing here??

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Here's a better photo, the caliper on this setup is inverted. The banjo fitting it right next to the bleed screw. Wheel Tire Rim Auto part Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
Looks nice....but I can't help but think that front end seems a bit tight on the fork rake to the frame/engine. It may just be my poor eyes and the photo angle.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Although the fork swap did change the rake by a couple of degrees the photo angle is definitely not helping. Also note that the exhaust/down pipe is bumped out past the radiator and down the center making the clearances much tighter. Even with the forks completely compressed there is no rub/contact.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
What machining needs to be done for the 650 clutch pack to fit in the 500 motor? I thought it was a simple swap? I know fitting the 650 5th gear needs machining of the case, but I didn't know the clutch swap needed machining too.

Charles.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
Why not shorten those headers pretty severely? You don't need even length headers to drive a turbo... and honestly uneven header lengths don't hurt my 650 at all. I used a piece of 180 degree mandrel-bent tubing for my right header, and then tucked the left one as close under the radiator as I could, to make my high pipes.

Charles.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycling Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
1,672 Posts
Finally, I'm curious about the oil feed to the turbo. Are you pulling it from the oil filler? Or is that the return? Where are you getting the feed from, and are you using an electric oil pump for that?
Thanks!

Charles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Why not shorten those headers pretty severely? You don't need even length headers to drive a turbo... and honestly uneven header lengths don't hurt my 650 at all. I used a piece of 180 degree mandrel-bent tubing for my right header, and then tucked the left one as close under the radiator as I could, to make my high pipes.

Charles.

View attachment 71697 View attachment 71705
Two reasons why I have it setup the way I do. 1. I am aware that the turbo will spool and run just fine not being symmetrical but I want them to be for esthetic as it's not only a performer but a show bike as well. 2. The setup is a draw thru (carb is before the turbo) so you need the intake runner length to be as short as possible to prevent the fuel mixture from freezing. The oil is fed from the oil pressure switch and is drained back into the oil dipstick. Gravity fed return so no need for a oil return pump. Nice bike Charles I love the build!

·
Administrator
1,672 Posts

·
Administrator
1,672 Posts
Thought: Why not drill and tap the inspection cover hole for the oil return? You'll get more oil splash on the rotor, which may help cool the stator and lead to a longer stator life. Just a thought.

Charles.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts