Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a little preview of my build while I'm finishing up mock up.
Yes it is turbo charged converted
Single carbed converted draw thru turbo setup
Stock ignition for now but do plan on switching
Running low boost high octane and richer fuel curve for this setup
Currently looking for a clutch to hold the power

FB_IMG_1471836269208.jpg FB_IMG_1471836261114.jpg FB_IMG_1471836257022.jpg
FB_IMG_1471836245737.jpg FB_IMG_1471836241633.jpg 20160915_211645.jpg 20160917_163035.jpg

Here's a short clip of me doing my last pull of the day as my clutch decided it wasn't liking the turbo power.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BKyviVugzku/

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou, here's some pictures of the new battery box. I didn't want a small battery as if I was ever stranded I wouldn't ever have to worry about not having enough juice. imagejpeg_0.jpg
20161002_200116.jpg 20161002_200049.jpg

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Update: the bike was taken to the drag strip for its first shake down test didn't go as planned but was still a success. It felt very powerful but the different clutch setup just couldn't hold the power. It slipped a little before the 1/8th mile but after it completely let go on me as I had to do my best to feather the throttle the rest of the way. Here was my best time as the clutch gave out. It has a lot more potential Screenshot_2016-10-06-11-38-32.png

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Very neat project. Yes, the clutch will be one of your first issues just like what Lucas faced with his recent build. After that I would have some ignition concerns as you turn up the power and may have too much advance. Octane will be your friend there. I would think you should be able to handle 12+ pounds of boost with 93 octane, but would have concerns higher than that with the ignition advance. Above that I think you will need stouter pistons. Watch your a/f ratio too. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's overkill but I am currently running vp110 right now as pre detonation is the last thing I want. Air/fuel is also on the richer side of things.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definitely not the most crisp throttle response in the world but it's not all that bad it just reminds me of driving around a big turbo car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I spuspect a change - over to 650 primary drive and clutch would be the solution, maybe along with ditching the 'thick' clutch plate for an extra friction plate. That will also give you higher speed for the same revs. Otherwise I suspect the turboed engine will have enough power to run well past the red line in top gear.... The 650 clutch is designed for 65hp and the extra friction plate will add another 10 or so.
Looking forward to the contimuing story/saga, particularly how long the big ends will last. Great project!

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Maybe it's my piss poor eyesight, but I can't quite figure out the front brake line connection to the caliper....never seen anything like that
*I enlarged the pic as much as I could*

1 - 20 of 54 Posts