Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do you think? Here she is after a thorough winter 'cleanup'. Nothing has been repainted, this is the original paintwork on frame and cycle parts. The engine block is also the original unpainted finish. The mileage is the total since new.

I'm quite proud of her, she must be one of the better ones around

·
Registered
377 Posts
Wow, awesome!

Mike

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
That´s an absolutely stunning bike!

Makes mine look like something the cat dragged home. To their defence - their odometers show other numbers.

You´ve owned it since new, eh??

UK import?

I see that you, like me, prefer to have nothing dangling from the ignition key. No rings, no other keys, no whistle, no torch, no amulettes, etc, etc. No scuff marks, either.

Again - awesome bike!!

You don´t see those tank lid lock stickers / decals too often!

Sture

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

UK import?

I see that you, like me, prefer to have nothing dangling from the ignition key. No rings, no other keys, no whistle, no torch, no amulettes, etc, etc. No scuff marks, either.

Sture

Hi Sture.

Yes, I imported it from UK last year. It was in pretty good shape with only 5400 miles on the clock, and two previous owners. I have all the MOTs and lot of other docs, and have spoken to both owners. The first one bought it in 1978 and used it only a couple of years, then stored it for 22(!) years. He took it out of storage in 2002 and sold it. When I asked why he didn't use it he said that he had approx 35 other bikes at the time so he did not find time for it

The bike needed some attention, however mostly cosmetic. It's original and unrestored, apart from a couple of sensible mods I have made. The main being an electric fan due to the old one cracking up. This mod is virtually invisible to the untrained eye and the result is very satisfactory.

No I don't want any mascots dangling from my keys, nor do I have big woolly dices or Wunderbaum perfume trees hanging from the mirror in my cars

Michael

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I saw some dirt on the tops of your tyres...

but I'm gobsmacked - how long has it taken to get it that clean? - and you don't ride when it's wet do you.....

very pretty - but no windscreen....about the only thing I saw missing...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I saw some dirt on the tops of your tyres...

but I'm gobsmacked - how long has it taken to get it that clean? - and you don't ride when it's wet do you.....

very pretty - but no windscreen....about the only thing I saw missing...

Yes the tyres got dirty on that photo shoot. That really hurt
. The first owner claimed she was never once ridden on wet roads, and neither have I done so. The collector box certifies that.

I have been working on her this winter, took me some weeks to get her this clean and nice.

About the windscreen: the 78-80 models didn't have any.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The large reservoir is standard for the twin-disc models, so it's original.

Michael

Interesting. So there's another item we in North America got screwed out of.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Interesting. So there's another item we in North America got screwed out of.

Actually I think the US one looks better
. The big reservoir is a bit unsightly, and that was also commented in some of the period roadtests. Honda changed it to the square design for the 1979 model year.

Also the twin discs are a bit smaller in diameter than the US single disc. I think the US one looks better

Michael

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I thought they all came with a screen - my apologies...

the brake reservoir looks similar to an early goldwing style...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.