Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi too all member, this is the very first time I post anything ever. I just want to share what have been done with my CX.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Plant Fuel tank
Bicycle tire Tire Vehicle Bicycle fork Bicycle accessory
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

at this point I don't like the old seat cut it and make new one
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

make new exhaust

this is the current stage

New project that am current working on is rear brake conversion
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Hubcap Rim Motor vehicle
Crankset Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle chain

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,753 Posts
With the tank leveled that much, put a longer straw in the petcock or when you switch to reserve you'll have five or six miles tops, before you're pushing it. Ask me how I know...

Charles.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
@V.87

This isn't your first time to the rodeo! I like the idea of the disc brake conversion!

Reactions: V.87

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@V.87

This isn't your first time to the rodeo! I like the idea of the disc brake conversion!
Thanks,
a lot of my friends said it too, but it is my first time. I do a lot of research try and error, redo until I got it. I do give credit to many member over the forum, there work and progress make all the different.

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500 Interstate
1 Posts
How'd you paint the motor? Mine was black when I got it, but I wouldnt mind having it redone to look that nice!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Very nice, I see so many cafe'd CXs that dont do any real upgrades, but that monoshock and disk brake are going to be awesome.

Reactions: V.87

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,698 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable (some of which is not obvious if you aren't familiar with these bikes) so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.

I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. I guess I don't need to tell you to check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old or to replace the original rubber brake line with a modern stainless braided ones but don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

I'll leave it for others to comment on the inadvisability of converting a CX500 swingarm to single shock without adding serious reinforcement and lowering the front of the tank so that you no longer have access to all of the fuel in it but I will comment that it looks like the lighting no longer meets legal requirements (I don't see any turn signals or front marker lights and retaining all original lighting functions is a legal requirement in the US and Canada for vehicles used on public roads).

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
At least in Minnesota, you aren't required to have turn signals. (But why wouldn't you? Hand signals are a hassle.) If you have them, they need to be original equipment or meet current standards.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How'd you paint the motor? Mine was black when I got it, but I wouldnt mind having it redone to look that nice!
What I did to paint my motor is first I pressure wash, sand out all the imperfection, primer, paint of choice and clear. The paint I use is from amazon VHT SP127 Engine Enamel
Would like to see how yours come out.

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At least in Minnesota, you aren't required to have turn signals. (But why wouldn't you? Hand signals are a hassle.) If you have them, they need to be original equipment or meet current standards.
I do have them on you just don't see it that all, the turn signals is on the end of the handlebar see it?
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Helmet Hood Automotive lighting Amber Orange

·
Super Moderator
18,698 Posts
We've been through this before: It is a federal regulation and federal trumps local whether it is enforced locally or not.

US DOT & Transport Canada regulations (they "harmonize" the regs so vehicles from one side of the border will be legal on the other side) require a 4"/100mm distance between a turn signal and any other light that is lit when the signal is flashing. This is a good requirement because if another light is too close it is hard for other road users to tell that it is flashing. For that to happen with those combination tail brake and turn signals the brake light would have to be turned off when the signal is on and that is a very bad idea.

·
Premium Member
12,263 Posts
We've been through this before: It is a federal regulation and federal trumps local whether it is enforced locally or not.
I don't think you understand federalism. (Sadly, many Americans don't, either.)
Federal regulations apply to vehicle manufacture, not operation. In the case of lighting (i.e. distance of signals from other lights) most states require it to comply with the standard in effect at the time of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
When a rule came to be does not change the fact that Randall has stated. I have tried to state more or less the same thing before only to get your feathers ruffled. You like to say federal trumps local but the local sheriff is still the most powerful officer in his or her jurisdiction.

·
Super Moderator
18,698 Posts
Whether it is enforced locally (which only really matters if you don't go anywhere else) it is still a good idea to maintain the 4" distance for safety reasons. I don't know about you but I don't want to give some brain dead cager an excuse to claim he didn't know I was going to turn.

·
Premium Member
12,263 Posts
Whether it is enforced locally (which only really matters if you don't go anywhere else) it is still a good idea to maintain the 4" distance for safety reasons. I don't know about you but I don't want to give some brain dead cager an excuse to claim he didn't know I was going to turn.
Not arguing that, at all.

Reactions: Sidecar Bob
1 - 20 of 20 Posts