Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found these pics in a moldy old box in my parent's basement. I bought my CX in '79, these pics were taken during a ride my Dad and I did in the summer of '81, He on his brand new GL500i, me on my trusty CX with a Windjammer. Winnepeg, Edmonton, Jasper, Banff, Calgary, Glacier Nat'l Park and Going to the Sun Road, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Bear Tooth Pass, the Black Hills... that is a ride I will treasure always.

Here is a pic of my Dad on his GL, his bike is now in a place of honor in my garage.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Wow, what a great trip to have made with your Dad. When my son had a bike I didn't have one so we never got to ride together. You must have some great memories from that ride.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. What do you call the stuff that the picture was taken with?

Here's a pic of the ol' man futzing with his camera on that trip. I don't remember the details of what he used, but he usually had his bigger 35mm and a little Olympus palm-sized 35mm along on our rides. He carried his gear in one of those inflatable pouches, he worried about the cameras shaking apart but it never happened. I have that little Olympus around here somewhere...

Dad and I, and my brother too, had numerous two-wheeled adventures together over almost 20 years. All over the US, a bunch of Canada, and Australia too. He was the best riding partner I ever had. He gave up riding in about '98 as he started fighting cancer, and passed away in '07.

The tent in the pics, by the way, was made by my Mom from a Frostline kit. That was one neat tent, unfortunately it was later loaned to a friend of my brother and from there it was stolen out of the back up his pickup.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Very cool. I lost my dad before he became less stupid. The older I get the wiser he becomes.

Reminds me of a Mark Twain quote “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.”

Anyway, I love seeing old pictures of CX's from when they were new or nearly new!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Stitch... they might have used a substance called "film". Probably 35 or 36mm.. maybe 37mm... lol! (ex Navy photog here...)I remember it well. Interstater... How wonderful to have had the trip together.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Thanks for sharing these with us! I just bought a Custom and got to go riding with my dad this summer where I live in southwest Colorado. He was the reason I got the bike in the first place. He's getting up in years, and I really wanted to have the experience of riding with him while he's still into it. I can imagine how important that trip was and is to you. And I'd love to ride through the Canadian Rockies! That must've been amazing...

·
Registered
94 Posts
nice to have great memories like that! even though i still have my dad he has been wheelchair bound with ms since i was in my early teens and although i remember him owning bikes i never had chance to ride with him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.