Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
My thingy uses the same instrument and I have the fuel working as temp using a VDO sender part # 320.041 which is 38 - 495 ohms.

This lights all the bars but the top one at normal operating temperature.

If you find a better sender let me know.

Based on that my best guess for one that works a little better would be around 50 to 450, but this is a guess.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
I have the install of one of these written up. Start post 474.

Wiring diagram at 500.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Not yet, but my intention is to try it. I'll keep you informed
Tom
hi guys , I did some testing. According to my manual the resistance of the thermostat is between 104Ohm (60°) and 16Ohm(120°). normal operating temp is about 80°.
I programmed the speedometer in mode 4 to value 2. I think this corresponds best to the range of the thermostat NTC.
when I start the engine , the fuel meter doesn't indicate because the resistance value is too high. after a mile or 5 the fuel meter starts to react (1 line) and after about 10 miles it indicates "halfway". this could be correct because at this moment the resistor value is about 60Ohms.
hope this helps
Tom

·
Registered
117 Posts
hi guys , I did some testing. According to my manual the resistance of the thermostat is between 104Ohm (60°) and 16Ohm(120°). normal operating temp is about 80°.
I programmed the speedometer in mode 4 to value 2. I think this corresponds best to the range of the thermostat NTC.
when I start the engine , the fuel meter doesn't indicate because the resistance value is too high. after a mile or 5 the fuel meter starts to react (1 line) and after about 10 miles it indicates "halfway". this could be correct because at this moment the resistor value is about 60Ohms.
hope this helps
Tom
I'm assuming you just ran a cable directly to the temp gauge that's in the block?

-Nick

·
Super Moderator
21,986 Posts
hope this helps
Tom
I couldn't get any sense out of mine with the stock sender.

Interested to see how this works in online operation.

How many hall magnets are you using for the speedo? I went with 5.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have the install of one of these written up. Start post 474.

Wiring diagram at 500.
Interesting the sensor is on the rear wheel. I assumed it would be on the front one, just shorter/closer path to the speedo and how i've seem most before.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Its amazing how bright those little buggers can be!

101 - 117 of 117 Posts