Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so i wanted to improve the brakes and stiffin the forks so i bought a whole new front end off what i thought to be a cbr600 lol come to find out it was of a 92 vfr750. I was pretty lucky that the bearings were still the same size and the forks were the same length. So i put the forks on and im still trying to figure out how to wire up the engine stop and other switches off the vfr to the cx. so im kinda stuck but the forks look great and since the bike is not ride able i went ahead and deleted the air box and messed with the tail lights. i ordered the new tail light assembly but its not here yet so i put together this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
You should be able to just use the controls off the CX and put them on the bars you have now and then it's taken care of, unless you're using shorter bars then the cables will be to long, so you just get shorter cables, but can still use the cx controls with them...

·
Registered
192 Posts
You will need to use a relay as an engine stop as the early CX is a constant ON ignition and needs to be grounded to stop. Most ignition switches are just an open or close with internal power so you have one wire that supplyes power to starter. Take the ignition wire and run it through a relay. When the relay is activated the ignition gtound wire goes through the relay to ground. The CX key switch probably fits the new fork and that has a kill switch in it as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You should be able to just use the controls off the CX and put them on the bars you have now and then it's taken care of, unless you're using shorter bars then the cables will be to long, so you just get shorter cables, but can still use the cx controls with them...

i cant use them the handlebars have to use the ones it came with cause the size differed from 7/8ths handle bar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will need to use a relay as an engine stop as the early CX is a constant ON ignition and needs to be grounded to stop. Most ignition switches are just an open or close with internal power so you have one wire that supplyes power to starter. Take the ignition wire and run it through a relay. When the relay is activated the ignition gtound wire goes through the relay to ground. The CX key switch probably fits the new fork and that has a kill switch in it as well.
ok thats a little confusing guessing im not understanding what you mean and yes the key switch does fit. When i looked up the wiring diagram i was curious why there was a ground connected to the ignition. i guess this is what you mean. Im just not sure how im going to solve this problem yet.

·
Registered
851 Posts
wish they fit id use them lol

I'm with Brewer, check the diameter of the VFR bars with a caliper. 7/8" should read .875" diameter. Have you loosened the screws on your controls to spread them apart a bit.? There are Philips screws on the bottom side check carefully they should slide right on? BTW did you take off the old plastic twist grip in the second picture?

Cheers , 50gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you notice from the pictures that these bars clamp to the forks. And the diameter is 1 inch. The second and third pic is when i first got the bike. the rest of them have been taken as i progress on working on the bike. Oh i think i figured out the problem with the wiring i just put a self made switch to ground out the wire it seems to work for now. ill post some more pics when i get it all together.

·
Registered
192 Posts
ok thats a little confusing guessing im not understanding what you mean and yes the key switch does fit. When i looked up the wiring diagram i was curious why there was a ground connected to the ignition. i guess this is what you mean. Im just not sure how im going to solve this problem yet.
The CX will fire the plugs as long as the engine is spinning regardles of key position. If you hook up the relay so that the contacts close with the switch off the ignition circuit can be routed to ground. Buy a horn relay and using a batery find out which prongs activate the relay. One goes to + and the other is ground. There will be 2-3 prongs not used at this time. with the relay closed see which 2 of the 3 prongs have continuity. The ignition ground wire goes to one of the prongs and the other is your ground. Your main on off switch can oalso be used as a kill switch.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The CX will fire the plugs as long as the engine is spinning regardles of key position. If you hook up the relay so that the contacts close with the switch off the ignition circuit can be routed to ground. Buy a horn relay and using a batery find out which prongs activate the relay. One goes to + and the other is ground. There will be 2-3 prongs not used at this time. with the relay closed see which 2 of the 3 prongs have continuity. The ignition ground wire goes to one of the prongs and the other is your ground. Your main on off switch can oalso be used as a kill switch.
here is a pic of the wiring diagram i would be more than happy if you wanted to show me witch wires your talking about through there, and if you like i can email you the wiring of the vfr as well. Thanks for your help it just seems that i tried everything and i might just have to take it to a professional or something. The switch i made didnt work as planned and i hate taking something to someone when i know i can do it myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
im pretty sure i wired it up right but for some reason im still not getting any spark to plugs. Its getting extremely frustrating not knowing whats wrong considering it worked fine before i took it apart lol. Any help at all would be amazing Thanks Alan!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.