Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My First Build: An Exercise In Patience and Arachnology

Hey guys,

So I picked up my '79 CX500 about a month ago. It's spent the better part of the last five years in and out of storage, being stolen, left outside in the rain etc. I finally had a chance to go pick it up, so now I've begun the long process of getting it restored and roadworthied as a Learner Approved Motorcycle, it's been a wealth of fun so far.

Suffice to say it's got a few problems, but being a CX it wanted to start the second the battery was carrying a charge. The choke cable was seized tight though, so after a month of waiting for a new one it's finally been replaced. I'm about to put a new brake master cylinder on it tomorrow and hopefully by then it should be carrying enough charge to kick over okay. According to my cousin who sold it to me all those years ago- it hadn't been started in several years when he unwittingly fired it up first try when he first purchased it, so here's to hoping it's still got the same resilience.

So far while I've been waiting for the new choke I've begun the arduous process of finding and removing all the rust I possibly can and the 36 years of road dust and grime in all those "hasn't seen the sun since my parents were in high school" sorta places. There's rust seemingly everywhere I look, so I'm feeling the urge to strip the whole frame and repaint it and use that time while the engine is out to give it a good pressure clean. In the meantime I've just been pulling off mufflers and headers, CLRing and sanding them back to chrome before I polish them. Next up is the crash bars and other minor chrome parts before I drop out and pressure clean the motor. And spiders. Pressure clean the hateful little eight-legged bastards back out to the farm...

Speaking of spiders, there is a veritable ecosystem of them on this bike, and they're everywhere you can think of. I'm up to four species and counting, everything from a Huntsman to grass spiders, on through to a few evil little White-Tails and a good supply Daddy Long Legs to keep them in check and apply a fresh layer of cobwebs every night.

While I've waited for the new choke I've managed to;

-Clean a bunch of stuff
-Test the electricals, which are fine aside from the indicators
-Get most of the rust off the left header and muffler
-Replace the 12in handlebars with a set of flat bars I found in my cousin's parts box
-Strip the paint off the fuse box and prep it for repainting
-CLR soak any bolts I've pulled off to stop them seizing any more in the near future
-Pulled the seat and fuel tank off and realised I'm in way over my head
-Killed spiders

I've still gotta;

-Kill more spiders
-Drop the motor out and clean it
-Replace the stator
-Get a new fuel tank/petcock
-Get all the rust off the chrome
-Put air in the tyres
-Rebuild the front brake calipers
-Change the oil and filter
-Hopefully find the time to seek and destroy any rust in the frame and repaint
-Polish the sweet living everything out of everything
-Ride it for the first time since I was 16

I've got a spare set of carbs and lots of spare cables with it too, so if it turns out I won't need them I might put them on offer here.

2015-07-05 17.25.38.jpg 2015-07-05 17.10.33.jpg 2015-07-13 15.45.25.jpg 2015-07-13 15.46.00.jpg 2015-07-13 15.30.01.jpg

Hopefully some day after it's restored and dun propa I'll give it a respray in honour of its fallen arachnid inhabitants and their descendant's diaspora to other parts of my shed. Now it only needs a name and I've got a new and everlasting obsession, I'm trying to decide between "Spiderbike," for obvious reasons or "The Hard Way," because that's just how I go about things...

Anyone have any ideas for a general plan of attack to maximise efficiency and minimise wasted time? I've got a strong tendency to find the hardest, slowest way to do anything ever, so any help is appreciated. I'll keep the thread updated as I go :)

Cheers,

Dyl.

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Start by downloading the FSM. [link below to the WIKI]

Make sure that it will run well then start you mods over the winter.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What gives you the impression you need to replace the stator? Did it actually fail the stator test, or are you just planning ahead? Of the list of things you plan to do, that's a biggie.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks OCR, just downloaded yesterday. I've got a hard copy Clymer's manual and some other manual whose name escapes me as well if I need 'em.

According to my cousin it needed doing when he still owned it. It starts revving down at 5000rpm, figured I'd change it soon to stop and it being a problem later. Looks like a nuisance of a job in the manual, and I've read in other posts here that they die pretty routinely...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts