Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first bike the other day and was lucky enough to get a decent deal on a 79 cx500c. I haven't decided how to customize it yet but will be doing an 80/20% mix of in town vs. Highway riding. Any ideas for a good setup? Also I have been riding motorcycles my whole life but never worked on them. I would greatly appreciate any maintenance tips and ideas of potentially dangerous performance issues to look out for. Unfortunately this is my only vehicle for the time being so my restoration stints will be limited to one or two days of down time max. Any help would be more appreciated than I could express. I love these older japanese bikes and can't wait to start transforming it into my second set of legs.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Put your bike info in the signature line, and check the sticky titled "Quick Reference". Read that whole set of posts the stitch links to and you will have so much info on your bike your head will explode.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Put your bike info in the signature line, and check the sticky titled "Quick Reference". Read that whole set of posts the stitch links to and you will have so much info on your bike your head will explode.

Not exactly sure what any of that means... I know less about the internet than I do bikes

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Welcome to the group. The "sticky" is the top 4 posts, they are "sticky" because they stay at the top of the list always and forever, lots of good, frequently asked question answers there along with a check list for what to do to a new bike.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm cornfused here.

First you say,
I just bought my first bike the other day

Then you say,
I have been riding motorcycles my whole life

So, either you have been riding other people's bikes your whole life or maybe you've spent a lot of time down at the arcades?

Anyway, Welcome!

Larry

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote name='Larry S' date='09 June 2011 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1307629933' post='81314']

I'm cornfused here.

First you say,

Then you say,

So, either you have been riding other people's bikes your whole life or maybe you've spent a lot of time down at the arcades?

Anyway, Welcome!

Larry

[You were born with a bike? That's interesting... I have always ridden my families bikes. This is my first purchased bike.

Thanks for the help everyone. So nice to have this resource

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nope, no bike at birth.

My family has never had bikes. If I wanted to ride, I hadda buy one!

L

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

well so far it seems to be in pretty good condition. Engine sounds good and transmission and carbs were rebuilt three months ago. speedo is no good and I am not sure if the temp gauge can be off or if my bike just runs cool (also only 50 degrees outside since I have had it). mufflers are rotted out and a main priority because I want a quite bike. tires and brakes are good... going to do a thorough inspection and tune up this weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.