Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my bike that I purchased in early 2010 but was dropped because of a cager who turned in front of me and I swerved to avoid but still dropped the bike at about 60km/hr.

I took this oppurtunity to recover and buy another 650 E parts bike to replace my parts with original decals on the side covers/fairing/tank as well as buff some chrome and get rid of a lot of years of oxidation.

I put almost 14,000 kilometers on my bike my first year of riding on my first bike which includes about 3 weeks of no riding because of injury and slight restoring.

I love my bike a lot and plan on doing a tonne of touring with it this summer south and north of Kitchener/Waterloo.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea this was me who posted on kijiji about selling parts for the 650E. I remember talking to you too.

Come spring I will actually pull the parts from storage and take actual pictures of them before some of the parts go on Ebay.

I'll post them here too. I don't want to sell everything as I know some of my wear/known-to-fail parts I have can be replaced from my parts bike.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah,

Hearing my bike being called cute doesn't sound quite badass enough for a 22 year old kid.

Haha,

But I guess it is a compliment to the bike itself.

Before I got my parts bike, my bike was completely black (no decals) and all oxidized and looked rough and tough.

After I restore and finding cosmetics with decals my bike is now "cute". Yay!

I really want a bigger screen on it but wonder how weird it's going to look when I mount it.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
cute isn't a bad thing... LOL Nah, I really like the color scheme. I had to make sure my wasn't overboard in the cute dept- so just the flames are silver->pink haha

It might not look too strange, do you even notice a difference with one that short vs none at all? I would think one that short wouldn't make a difference.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Exactly my dilema!

The current fairing on this bike literally does nothing in terms of wind/debris protection for a guy 5'11.5"!

I literally think they made that bikini fairing to just protect the guage cluster and wires behind it.

Without the bikini fairing the bike looks REALLY bad. See pictures located in this ad for a 650E without the bikini fairing in the front. -

My link

-

I was looking at the Laminar Lip company in California but they obviously don't make a lip specific to my bikini fairing. I would have to ship my bikini fairing or ride my bike there to have a proper fitment.

The other option is picking a laminar lip that "looks" like it will fit my fairing.

Closest I've found is a Kawi 1100/1200 laminar lip, but its a pretty big 100 dollar risk with no guarentee for fitment.

Post a pic of your bike!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chaos

I think that's it- can't see pics while on this computer, so IDK... but my profile has a pic of it on there too

Looks sweeettt

I think your bike looks more badass than mine! Pretty nice overall, really well done.

I really want to paint mine too but the replica decal set is expensive and tuition is even more expensive! haha!

G

·
From the pics on here your bike looks really good.....personally I would keep it the way it is........but I'm partial to stock bikes

The smaller fly screen is one of the reasons I sold my CX650e,just not enough protection,especially if you are riding late into the season.

I was commuting on mine about 30 k one way up until the end of Nov., and it gets kind of cool......but then again I'm an old man compared to you..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From the pics on here your bike looks really good.....personally I would keep it the way it is........but I'm partial to stock bikes

The smaller fly screen is one of the reasons I sold my CX650e,just not enough protection,especially if you are riding late into the season.

I was commuting on mine about 30 k one way up until the end of Nov., and it gets kind of cool......but then again I'm an old man compared to you..

Bang on,

That is exactly the only complaint I have with my bike.

The bikini fairing is a joke.

It is pretty much useless.

I am very seriously considering buying an aftermarket laminar lip that a company in California makes.

I ride early and late in the riding season and this season I am going to be touring on this bike as well so the extra warmth/less wind fatigue that a bigger windscreen/fairing will provide will be much appreciated.

G

·
Now that I'm not working/commuting I buy a GL650i.............duh

Here is a link ... http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/vintage/prodvintage.html I realize on a student budget some of these are expensive ,but there maybe an idea or two

Looks like you are mechanically capable(restore/rebuild/fix)maybe you can get some ideas and build something from epoxy and glass cloth that would keep the look but give a bit more protection

1 - 13 of 13 Posts