Registered
1,792 Posts
WOW! That paint!

Reactions: Wyn64

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Looks really good, that's a great build... but most importantly, how's the ride?
The ride is not bad... It rides "harder" than OEM because of the thinner seat and the "new" suspension is beefier. Road holding is better than OEM. Brakes are much better than OEM. I opted for the normal handlebar position as the clip-ons I at first tried was just plain uncomfortable. I think the handlebars now ride even better than stock as I use raisers that not only lifted it but also moved it back - so a real OK position to sit in! The donor bike had a good motor but the bodywork needed attention and I wanted to build a CX cafe racer, so it was a done deal. It involved a lot of very hard work though! I started this build just after retiring... it helped a lot to keep me sane. Will I do it again? For sure!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wheres the temp gauge?
The temp gauge is in the new digital speedo. The temp is picked up from the normal OEM point and then is converted to the digital display... works well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Really nice work. Proportions are spot on. I like that you didn't go with clip ons, I like the straighter seating position your handlebars give.

About your digital speedo, it looks like the ones we see everywhere on Ebay and Aliexpress. Does it work good and how's the accuracy? I was looking at those recently.

What's in the left side handlebar oil reservoir? Clutch seems to still be cable actuated. Must be spare engine oil... or maple syrup but this must be rare in South Africa! ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Really nice work. Proportions are spot on. I like that you didn't go with clip ons, I like the straighter seating position your handlebars give.

About your digital speedo, it looks like the ones we see everywhere on Ebay and Aliexpress. Does it work good and how's the accuracy? I was looking at those recently.

What's in the left side handlebar oil reservoir? Clutch seems to still be cable actuated. Must be spare engine oil... or maple syrup but this must be rare in South Africa! ;)
Yes the digital speedo is from eBay. For the price it is not bad at all. The tacho is fairly accurate and stable. I've seen much more expensive stuff that hunts way too much. The speed can be calibrated. I use 2 magnets. It works OK. The warning lights etc are all bright enough to see in daylight. I never use the CX in rainy weather, so I do not know how the unit will do in wet conditions... I use the fuel gauge to indicate water temp. and the gear position (1st gear) to act as the oil light, which this unit does not have! The analog conversion is done with an Arduino chip that runs on custom written software. I also use a super bright red mini LED fitted in the plastic housing of the headlight to double up as an oil pressure warning light. So when switched on cold the red LED will be on (no oil pressure) and the fuel gauge (now the temp gauge) will indicate "empty". At startup the LED goes off and a large number 1 is displayed (1st gear indicator) meaning that there is oil pressure. As soon as the temperature starts to build up the "fuel" indicator climbs, following the sofware running in the Arduino. I used the info in the CX manual to set the temperature scale in the software. Long story short, the digital display is not bad at all.

Yes, the left reservoir is indeed just a dummy! Well spotted!! And it is filled with 20W50!! (y);)

Reactions: danroy323

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sort of demo of the digital display running of the Arduino...
Yes the digital speedo is from eBay. For the price it is not bad at all. The tacho is fairly accurate and stable. I've seen much more expensive stuff that hunts way too much. The speed can be calibrated. I use 2 magnets. It works OK. The warning lights etc are all bright enough to see in daylight. I never use the CX in rainy weather, so I do not know how the unit will do in wet conditions... I use the fuel gauge to indicate water temp. and the gear position (1st gear) to act as the oil light, which this unit does not have! The analog conversion is done with an Arduino chip that runs on custom written software. I also use a super bright red mini LED fitted in the plastic housing of the headlight to double up as an oil pressure warning light. So when switched on cold the red LED will be on (no oil pressure) and the fuel gauge (now the temp gauge) will indicate "empty". At startup the LED goes off and a large number 1 is displayed (1st gear indicator) meaning that there is oil pressure. As soon as the temperature starts to build up the "fuel" indicator climbs, following the sofware running in the Arduino. I used the info in the CX manual to set the temperature scale in the software. Long story short, the digital display is not bad at all.

Yes, the left reservoir is indeed just a dummy! Well spotted!! And it is filled with 20W50!! (y);)
Sort of demo video regarding the digital dislay...

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
Very nice, but is any bike ever really finished? ;-)

Re the dummy reservoir, if you put ATF in it it the red colour will really confuse people...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice, but is any bike ever really finished? ;-)

Re the dummy reservoir, if you put ATF in it it the red colour will really confuse people...
These builds are actually never finished and these old machines require a lot of maintenance....

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
These builds are actually never finished and these old machines require a lot of maintenance....
But that is a lot of the fun, isn't it?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Looks good
Only thing you might add is a tank pad/ bra/film to protect that paint....but that depends on your height, your suit and if you "tank body surf".....

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Riding is the best part for me, not a fan of the maintenance. Hence why mine isn't running yet. Hopefully some day before i get too old...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts