Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This last sunday i gotthe bike home finally but it was at night so i didnt get to work on her till monday. anyways, i pulled the sparkplug wires out and man the plugs where nasty. cleaned out the holes and put alittle oil down the cyclinders. got the tank off and cleaned it with acid to eat the rust that was in there, it was nuts not only did it eat the rust but the inside of the tank was smoking! before i did that though i toke off the petcock and ill need to get a new gasket of it. then i toke out the carbs and cleaned them up. i was really suprised at how clean the inside was even before i sprayed them down. the pistons moved with out much force and i could hear the flots movin around so i figured that they should be ok to get the bike runnin. if not ill rebuild them. pulled off the radiator, flushed it and spray painted the shroud covers looks much better. ill post up more pic's when i get some more time. got to get ready for first day at work.

you can kinda see the tank bakin out in the sun out in the grass

lot of work to be done, im going to polish up all the crome when i buy some wheels for the air guns.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Looks great man!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya slowly shes getting there. i wish i had the key for it, but sense i dont ill have to hot wire it to get her started.

here's a pic of the shroud after it was sprayed. i forgot to put the refleters on but ill do that later.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well today i was working on the front brake and just got done pulling the MC apart and cleaning it up and same with the caliper. All was going good untill i tryed to bleed it, the valve was really rusty lookin so i sprayed on some WD-40 and waited 20 mins to try and break it free. it snapped off LOL! now im stuck, i would like to upgrade it but i have no idea what would work.

·
Registered
583 Posts
well today i was working on the front brake and just got done pulling the MC apart and cleaning it up and same with the caliper. All was going good untill i tryed to bleed it, the valve was really rusty lookin so i sprayed on some WD-40 and waited 20 mins to try and break it free. it snapped off LOL! now im stuck, i would like to upgrade it but i have no idea what would work.
I'm sure somebody will help you out in the buy/sell forum.

Don't get discouraged... work on another system! I really wanna hear this thing run!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sorry to hear about your MC but keep up the work, it looks good so far.  You can replace the m/c with a dual piston one off a cb900 from the early 80's as long as you get the bracket that it mounts on.  

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hey man its looking good and i know there are mcs on the bay i looked.....hope you get it running soon

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks guys.
its the bleed valve on the caliper that snapped. sorry i didnt explain it very well, i should of kept the old spark plugs i could of cleaned them up and had the bike running. lol, if my car sells ill have enough money to get her running. im just trying to do things to the bike thats dosn't cost money till i have some.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im slowly learning the penny pinching methods lol. im really tired of spending so much money on just keeping a car on the road. and cant wait till i can ride this thing legally. say Lucky would you know where the bleeder for the front forks are? and the fill hole up top? i really need to refill the fluid.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i dont think there is one so what you have to do is a rebuild i do believe

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rebuild huh. hmm, ill check out to see how much it will cost. my forks are really spungy and dont really even come back up after being pushed down.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I believe on those forks only the leg with the axle clamping shell has a hex bolt countersunk in the axle bore.

Best to totally remove the forks and use a REAL penetrant such as Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster before trying to remove the hex.

If I'm wrong we'll soon hear about it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
so your saying it does have a drain screw i know on the 82's they do but they dont have a fill spot i am not all to sure about the 78's so it looks like achille would know sense he has a parts bike he also might become your new friend andy

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok, here's my findings with pictures!! yay! so one side is a castle nut with a cotter pin, and under that is a hole witch i can feel the axle up there.

heres the side without the hole R side

no hole.

castle nut side

with the hole. ill also post some pic's of the top of the shocks to see if anyone bolt might be the fill hole.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.