Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This cold and sunny morning I rode to the Tim Hortons close to work for my caffiene fix and a prefab breakfast sandwich. There's a 1/2 wide parking spot right out front at the end that looks like the line painters measured wrong or something but it's perfect for a bike, so that's where I park. I can also see my bike from inside so it's all good.

While I'm sitting reading my book I hear a big twin go muttering by a couple of times, I look out and see a big decker looking for the perfect spot. Apparently around the corner was the closest he could tolerate parking his bike to mine. Gave me a little chuckle. Then I hear another big twin maneuvering out front next to my bike. I can't see because of the wall but when this 5 foot asian guy walks in with leathers I figure this is the man and now I really want to see what he's driving.

I finish up, walk outside and see this beautiful black Shadow cruiser parked next to the Fish. I walked to the back of my bike to grab my helmet and just had time to appreciate the guys' excellent defensive parking job (diagonal across the end of the parking spot, nose out but well within the lines) as a Ford Escape wheels in wide into the next spot and knocks the poor guys' bike flying. His driver front corner hit the Shadow drivers' side rear hard enough to sent the rear signal flying up into the air to land almost at my feet. The driver of the Escape was still wearing that slackjawed look of surprise as I pointed at him and yelled, 'Don't f****ing move!', and ran back inside to grab the bike owner out of the lineup. He seemed a lot calmer than I was but I think he was in shock and I was just angry on his behalf. Then the cager starts babbling about how he didn't see the bike, how the lady next to him opened her door etc, all the lame excuses that I'm sure anyone who's had an 'encounter' has heard before.

When I interrupted him to remind him that I'd seen the whole thing, that he'd pulled in fast and wide, that I could see that he wasn't looking where he was going and that he'd be better off making with the insurance info instead of excuses he got all riled at me
, got aggressive, swearing at me and saying that I was accusing him of doing it on purpose. I told him that I didn't think that at all, that it was obviously a matter of him not paying attention but that it was still completely his fault and that if he didn't get out of my face I would happily put him up against the wall and kick the s**t out of him. I helped pick up the bike, wrote my name and numbers down for the biker and told him that I'd seen everything and that I'd be pleased to tell anyone who needed to know. Then I turned to the cager, who wouldn't make eye contact with me anymore, and apologised for my language but reiterated that excuses don't excuse bad driving.

I apologised to the biker but I was late for work and had to go. I told him he should call the cops and told him to please call me if he needed a witness.

It's just as well it wasn't my bike. Seems I have a bit of a temper...

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Your signature line says it all. Hope it all works out.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
wow,nice start to the day Sam,you kept a cool head.fair play to you

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yea, I try to park on sidewalks.

I park in the handicapped spots. Rarely any cars to block the view of my bikes.

Yes, I have the proper plates, but still get dirty looks from people when I do it because I'm in my 30's. I've had arthritis since I was 24. Just because I don't walk well doesn't mean I can't ride!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yea, I try to park on sidewalks.

Doesn't help... My daughter is learning to drive, and 2nd time out, we ended up over the curb, and on the sidewalk...just sayin! (at least she has an excuse - lack of experience, 1st time on a standard, her teacher (me) and the distraction of some young guy - narrowly missed - on the sidewalk)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
When I park at Wal-Mart or the grocery store I park around the big cement blocks as much as possible- in such a way that (usually, barring any freak instance) they'd hit the block first or if they hit my bike, they can't do so without hitting the cement as well.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,264 Posts
...and the distraction of some young guy - narrowly missed - on the sidewalk)
A little object fixation, there? Remind her that the car will go wherever she's looking.

R

·
Registered
706 Posts
I love a good "almost was an ass whuppin'" story first thing in the morning!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
and the distraction of some young guy

A little object fixation, there?

I don't know of anyone who has NEVER been distracted by something like that... I'VE even been distracted momentarily by a really nice looking guy... but there are distractions in driving- even a squad car having someone pulled over. Part of driving is recognizing that there are distractions and dealing with them appropriately.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
It was good all around, and things turned out great. I wouldn't recommend buying into someone else's fight, especially if you don't have a pony in the race. Let the guy say whatever he wants, the facts won't be altered, if there had been a door, a child on a bicycle he was trying to avoid..whatever his excuse, the result was the same, he was 100% responsible and would have to pay.

Sometimes sticking your beak in where it doesn't belong gets it punched or worse.

It was a very good morning, #1 reason, nobody got hurt. #2-1000 reasons-nobody got hurt. A bike, a truck, a window etc. can be replaced with relative ease, in the grand scheme of things it amounts to less than a hill of beans.

You did the right thing in coming forward, you should have left it at that. No good ever came out of arguing with a moron like the one your encountered.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Where I park is all dependent on the amount of vehicles in the parking lot. I like to park up front but as far away as I can at places like walmart. Usually so I have one side of the bike fully exposed and guarded by some sort of curb.

If all those spots are empty I normally park out past where all the cars are parked by a light pole.

It's kind of funny trying to explain because it comes so natural to me. I just like to park where my bike won't get ran over or I wont have some ass sitting behind me like a vulture waiting for me to get my gear on and get out.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,264 Posts
Part of driving is recognizing that there are distractions and dealing with them appropriately.
Exactly. Like every new driver, she needs to learn either to ignore the distractions or to make the car go straight when she turns her attention.

Learning about object fixation may even save her life some day. Always look at the escape path you want to take, not at the semi that's crossing the median toward you.

R

·
Registered
835 Posts
Exactly. Like every new driver, she needs to learn either to ignore the distractions or to make the car go straight when she turns her attention.

Learning about object fixation may even save her life some day. Always look at the escape path you want to take, not at the semi that's crossing the median toward you.

R

In the case of my daughter - up until the distraction, she was 'having a good time'. I'm glad she got a little scared with out expense. She's been taking her driving lessons much more seriously since then.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To be fair, the moron didn't get abusive with me until I pointed out that at least a third of his suv was over the yellow line, thereby hollowing out all of his excuses. And I only mentioned that when I saw that his whole demeanor changed upon seeing who the bike actually belonged to. That's when he turned on the excuses, but with strong implication that it wasn't his fault at all. Problem was that I saw it and there was no doubt that speed and distraction were the two primary factors.

As much as I prefer not to be involved in, and certainly despise, confrontation, the facts that I was the only 1st hand witness as well as being within 2 feet of being personally involved dictated that I stand up and speak. I see people taking the low road all the time and it's something that always bothers me. When you do something wrong you should be looking how to make it right, not how to get away with it.

I'll admit that I was the one the brought the potential of violence to the table. He was trying to weasel out of responsiblity, which was bad enough, but when he started mouthing off at me for having the nerve to call him on it I had a rough time keeping things verbal. Like I said, I don't do confrontation very well...
That was actually the main reason I didn't stick around. I knew if he kept it up I was going to get into some real trouble.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I park in the handicapped spots. Rarely any cars to block the view of my bikes.

Yes, I have the proper plates, but still get dirty looks from people when I do it because I'm in my 30's. I've had arthritis since I was 24. Just because I don't walk well doesn't mean I can't ride!
Yea, my mom has one of those handicap mirror hangers. She got it ages ago when my dad became an invalid and was so for the remaining 28 years of his life, now she's 81 and while she walks a little slower people get all pissed that she can walk at all. Going into Wal Mart yes, but after walking around in there for a mile and having to carry all the groceries out herself she needs that closer space.

Which brings up my idea of how some people just don't apply logic sometimes.

You'll see people drive around a parking lot again and again for a half hour trying to get a good place (often settling for only 10' closer than what they'd already passed up a dozen times) but here's the deal.

What good is it to spend 1/2 hour and a lot of gas for a parking space 10' closer when you're probably going to walk a mile once you're in the store?

·
Registered
835 Posts
What good is it to spend 1/2 hour and a lot of gas for a parking space 10' closer when you're probably going to walk a mile once you're in the store?

Often, the participant can't walk a mile in the parking lot, but can walk the mile in the store, with the aid of a walker er... I mean shopping cart. It does help them.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder if I'll see either of these guys tomorrow at Timmies. I know I'll be parking in my usual spot...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A quiet morning at the caffeining hole this morning. Can still see the marks in the pavement where the guys' bike went down.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.