Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the cx500 world. I gotta say it's an awesome little bike. I have an '82. I have some questions, and I will take pictures as I go so everyone can keep track of my progress.

First question: Re-boring, I have a company near me that can do it. Where can I find new pistons?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another question, If I am going to clean the carbeurator in an ultrasonic cleaner. Should I take them apart first, leave them intact, or both?

·
Registered
205 Posts
The general consensus on this board is that purchasing a low mileage engine from a barn find (extremely common) is much cheaper than even attempting to rebuild a stock size motor let alone changing the piston size. Money can cure everything but how much do you want to invest in this project is the question.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JAMMAN, Is there another motor (prefferably not a turbo) That will fit this bike without too much rigging? I would like to keep the motor "sideways" Like it is now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not quite sure but there are a LOT of 82 CX500's out there and I'm relatively sure it would fit LOL.

Contact Murrayf he could tell you exactly what to get to avoid the issues with electrical system changes throughout the years. Just because the motor will fit which I would guess a lot of CX500 and GL500 would bolt right in physically, the electrical differences in ignition setups can run into money when converting. Best to get one that will bolt up and plug in too IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't want to get another 500 if I was to get a different engine. I would just get a 650 or 650 turbo variant.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cjkoschnick,
Thank you, where can I purchase that book? I just looked through amazon and eBay, cannot seem to find one.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Talk to Murray about swapping the GL650 engine, that seems to be the hot ticket, he can perform the swap or help you obtain the things to make it right. A 650 with his carbs will get down. There is nothing like having the front wheel dangling through the gears, this will do it. I rode his recently and it's cool.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so I have been pretty busy on the bike so far. Got a lot of the rust removed and have been rebuilding the engine. Full take down and cleaning. Then new gaskets and some new parts. I am facing a new issue. The bike did not come with a seat/ seat pan. Anyone have any tips or tricks as to making one? I have found some on Ebay but I do not want to spend 200-300 bucks on a "custom" seat. I have been looking on youtube and I see a lot of people using fiberglass, and some of them look good. But other ones look awful. Just trying to find a way to make one and have it look good.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Jamman said: The general consensus on this board is that purchasing a low mileage engine from a barn find (extremely common) is much cheaper than even attempting to rebuild a stock size motor let alone changing the piston size. Money can cure everything but how much do you want to invest in this project is the question.

I have a 1981 GL500I engine for $100. I can bring it as far as Milton PA this weekend (PA Rally) Needs a good cleaning & buffing (okay, it ain't pretty, they call it "barn find" for a reason) but I'm telling you, it's the least expensive way to get your bike on the road for sure. I won't ship. The engine has about 45k miles, I ran it briefly several years ago when I bought the parts bike, not smoothly, I'm sure the carbs were in filthy condition). As is with no carbs, insulators, radiator, headers or starter, but your parts should fit off your '82. This TI engine will bolt and wire into your '82 CX500 with no mods whatsoever. Rebuilding one of these engines makes no $ense at all, and the 650 installation gets a little bit involved. as does converting to a less robust CDI engine. If you want it this weekend let me know SOON, I can't remove it after Wednesday evening in time for this trip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not looking to buy a whole new engine, and I'm stationed down in Georgia. Not worth it to me to drive up to PA. If spend twice the amount of the engine in gas alone. Sorry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry it took me so long to get pictures out. But here are some. This is where I'm at now. All cutting on the frame was by the previous owner.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts