Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 years ago now, I was wrapping up design school and in the midst of a motorcycle design class. The class was very much about visual brand language, and less about engineering.

It was a crash course in basic motorcycle mechanics, history, and design.

Since then I've been wanting to acquire a bike and treat it's build as a design project. Well a few weeks ago I purchased my first bike, a '78CX500. And tonight I kicked off the project.

The Salary Cap: will be $1000.00 USD

All outsourced work, maintenance and aftermarket items included.

The Bike:

1978 CX500 Standard

24,000 mi

Purchased for $700

Runs, but needs work in order to be ride-able.

The Plan

To intertwine the traditional bike build thread with the traditional design process - through photos, customization, and concept sketches.

The End Goal

An honest, no frills, budget built city romper.

Like I said, I kicked off the project tonight and sat down for a few hours sketching through some overall aesthetic ideas I've had.

Here's a glimpse of where my head's at so far:

Nothing too detailed yet, but I'll keep updating this thread as things progress.

Thanks for looking, and your comments and criticism are welcome. I'm not going to pretend I really know what I'm doing mechanically. This will be a big learning process the whole way through, but I plan on doing all the work myself.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Very cool! I look forward to following your progress, I have the same bike and want to do something similar with a similar budget.

From your sketch it looks like you will be simplifying/streamlining the design a bit, but not going crazy (not eliminating the air-box or relocating the battery and keeping the stock exhaust), I was thinking along the same lines!

I'm sure you already know that there are a lot of guys on here that don't recommend airbox removal or exhaust H-box removal. It seems to me that keeping these items stock will save time messing with the carbs and possibly keep the budget down.

Thanks for posting!

Adam

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I plan on running an aftermarket exhaust, and removing the H box to reduce as much weight as I can - however I do like the megaphone look so I'll try to find something with that aesthetic that will work (maybe Mac).

So I'll most likely be rejetting the carbs, but yes, keeping the airbox for now.

I'm really not concerned about loss of power. I rather lose weight and gain a simplified appearance. I'm not planning on racing. It's just going to be a fun way to get from A to B around the city.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Interesting that you have termed your "budget limit"

as a "salary cap".... my how times change

Very nice approach... I like your drawing style in the mockup.

one caveat. IMHO there is no such thing as a "Cheap" motorcycle. sure, ours are at the low end of that and I think a price cap is a good idea. I would suggest a "Cap" of 2000$ with a contingency fund of another 1000$... just in case.

3000$ total today for a motorcycle that can be rode everyday reliably is "cheap" transportation by anyone's standards... If you come in closer to that 1000$ figure, who knows, you could be the next "President"

Good Luck D!

P.S, I think $1500 is more realistic ... you will be happy and have a bike you can be confident riding far from home and it's ability to get back. Riding while worrying about the cheapo fan grenading, or old tires blowing is not worth any amount of $ in my book.

Edit: I wanted to add that this is a learning process for everyone as no one was born a "Grand Nagus"

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, really I just want to see how far I can get with $1000. I don't plan on cheaping out on the things that matter - i.e. maintenance parts, tires, etc. Actually I don't plan on cheaping out on anything. I still want this to be a quality build. I'm a fan of do it right the first time. Cheap parts are too expensive.

I've also made myself a rule that any money gained on sold parts can be added to the salary cap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey very nice looking bike. Since i've been a member of this forum, the cafe racer look is growing on me. LOL! I've been doing a budget build myself, of a little different result. It started life as a standard 78'. Total build including cost of bike is at $515. LOL! We made almost all the custom parts, blinkers, pipes, side covers, etc. The side covers and blinkers aren't on yet. The tank is painted now finally. SO budget builds can be done with the right attitude and lots of work. Good luck on your build![attachment=857:Rat 1.jpg][attachment=858:Rat 2.jpg][attachment=859:Rat 3.jpg][attachment=860:Rat 4.jpg][attachment=861:Rat 5.jpg][attachment=862:IMG00059-20110308-2133.jpg][attachment=863:IMG00060-20110308-2134.jpg]

Attachments

Reactions: Beelzebubba

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey very nice looking bike. Since i've been a member of this forum, the cafe racer look is growing on me. LOL! I've been doing a budget build myself, of a little different result. It started life as a standard 78'. Total build including cost of bike is at $515. LOL! We made almost all the custom parts, blinkers, pipes, side covers, etc. The side covers and blinkers aren't on yet. The tank is painted now finally. SO budget builds can be done with the right attitude and lots of work. Good luck on your build!

I love the stance of that thing. Looks great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
About 3 years ago now, I was wrapping up design school and in the midst of a motorcycle design class. The class was very much about visual brand language, and less about engineering.

It was a crash course in basic motorcycle mechanics, history, and design.

Since then I've been wanting to acquire a bike and treat it's build as a design project. Well a few weeks ago I purchased my first bike, a '78CX500. And tonight I kicked off the project.

The Salary Cap: will be $1000.00 USD

All outsourced work, maintenance and aftermarket items included.

The Bike:

1978 CX500 Standard

24,000 mi

Purchased for $700

Runs, but needs work in order to be ride-able.

The Plan

To intertwine the traditional bike build thread with the traditional design process - through photos, customization, and concept sketches.

The End Goal

An honest, no frills, budget built city romper.

Like I said, I kicked off the project tonight and sat down for a few hours sketching through some overall aesthetic ideas I've had.

Here's a glimpse of where my head's at so far:

Nothing too detailed yet, but I'll keep updating this thread as things progress.

Thanks for looking, and your comments and criticism are welcome. I'm not going to pretend I really know what I'm doing mechanically. This will be a big learning process the whole way through, but I plan on doing all the work myself.
Nice mock up! Simple is GOOD. Look forward to the progress.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A few updates - this weekend I hacked up the stock seat pan. The goal being to give myself a better look at what will need to be done to achieve the look I want. It could also be the foundation for the custom seat pan. This will be one of the only things I'm outsourcing since I have no upholstery skills.

The kink is just hideous in my opinion. Designing a pan/seat to disguise it looks to be the most difficult part of this build. Mainly because it's such a distant process to me.

I've also been back and forth on tire choice. I spent some time tonight sketching up a few different looks, and as far as aesthetics and performance gos, I think I may be sold on the Maxxis DTR-1's

I'm still contemplating whether or not the bike is too black heavy right now. I may look into introducing more color variations.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I notice you left the center stand on in your drawing? 6# of dead weight. Less is more right? Yep, too much black, the Comstars look very nice in the silver with darker spokes IMHO. This is my front 18" x 2.15" Sparkle Silver rim and Antique Copper spokes, and black hub all powder coated. My valve covers are the same Antique Copper color.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've restored my old mans 1980 CX500A and always said, if it gets trashed I'm going to dump everything bar the engine and start again.....using NOTHING from the old CX and even replace the shaft with a chain drive to open the options and knock off some serious weight...all brainless fun....

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Some updates...

I've recently started hoarding parts:

MAC 2-1 exhaust

Tan exhaust wrap

Posh tan/natural grips

Tail light from a 1933 Ford

Goldwing rear fender

7" retro cafe headlight

Dime City headlight brackets

black clubman bars

Dunlop K70 tires

...I'm sure there are things I'm forgetting

As far as maintenance goes, she's gotten fresh oil and filter, plugs, and air filter and will soon be getting a valve adjustment and chain tensioner adjustment. Also will be repacking the wheel bearings after the wheels are painted.

Here are some color study sketches I did recently:

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.