Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Custom Digital Gauges - Work In Progress Update 8/24/15

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to share my little side project...I'm building a set of digital gauges for my CX. It has a tach, speedo, water temp, a clock, odometer and a few other bells and whistles... Here's some video when I tested my tach.

Still got a few things to work on including a custom PCB, special mount for the display, and a few other bells and whistles. I also plan on ditching that yellow LCD for something a little sleeker.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Is that on microcomputers or did you build it all from scratch? My friend is a programmer and fiddling with some sensors and micro computers. He wants to incorporate it on my build, something like a force recorder from an accelerometer... So small LCD with maybe 300x176 solution that shows how much force and the angle of the bike. Probably not very useful but fun!!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Was working on the same thing (I was going to stuff the electronics in the old gauges and use 7 segments, but it required 3 stacked boards so I gave it up for now. If I do it will make one solid dash) using a PIC chip. Only real pain in the ass was the odometer function and making sure it was saved even when power was removed. EEPROM on-board the PIC would work, just a timing issue to account for any possible power fail.

Keep us posted as I love seeing electronic projects come together :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that on microcomputers or did you build it all from scratch? My friend is a programmer and fiddling with some sensors and micro computers. He wants to incorporate it on my build, something like a force recorder from an accelerometer... So small LCD with maybe 300x176 solution that shows how much force and the angle of the bike. Probably not very useful but fun!!
I'm not sure about "microcomputers" but the platform I am developing on is netMF. It's similar to arduino, but uses c# and .net to program the device. You can get accelerators and gyros for pretty cheap and they are easy to interface with a microcontroller...Maybe I'll add those later down the road with my project...I agree, they are fun, but not totally necessary.

Was working on the same thing (I was going to stuff the electronics in the old gauges and use 7 segments, but it required 3 stacked boards so I gave it up for now. If I do it will make one solid dash) using a PIC chip. Only real pain in the ass was the odometer function and making sure it was saved even when power was removed. EEPROM on-board the PIC would work, just a timing issue to account for any possible power fail.

Keep us posted as I love seeing electronic projects come together :)
Will do, I had a few distractions, but I'm getting back on track with the project. I've got an eeprom chip to save all the system settings and odometers and a whole bunch of other stuff! Also, I've got a real-time clock with battery backup. So when you cut power, the clock keeps ticking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress Update

Just another update...This project isn't dead. I've changed the display to an oLED display and designed and 3d printed a replacement fuse cover that holds the screen and the input encoder and button!(I need to paint it black!) This gives me a lot more real estate to display more information, and add a little more custom graphics...Also, this display is sharper and faster. The unit is now powered from 12 volts from the bike. I've gotten the speed sensor working, water temp sensor, system settings and adjustments, odometer, and a few other features are in the works. You can also switch between 12hr/24 hr clock, KPH/Km, MPH/Miles, Celsius/Fahrenheit, etc. on the display. There's an on-board memory chip(eeprom) so all of the settings are saved when the power goes out. All of the settings are adjustable from the the controller. I've found myself spending a lot of time working on the display aspect...Drawing menus, working out bugs, workflows, graphics, and special fonts...

I'm working on squishing it all down onto a small custom PCB. I'm finalizing some details and I'm going to order the boards soon(I hope). Here's a little shot of the board design

·
Registered
50 Posts
Double Like...I am doing a trike build and don't care for the old pod look and Garmin doesn't have a temp sensor input :)

Wayne S

Reactions: GisMofx

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just another update and a video! I picked the project back up after a while. I was getting a lot of RF interference and it was causing the bus that the tach and speedometer sensors were on to get all jumbled up. Also, it was a clunky a setup. I found a better way to measure frequencies and removed those extra components for a better internal solution! Here's a video of the tach at idle. I went for a ride with it and it's working well!

this means a simpler setup and less components. I've got to do some more hardware testing and then will redesign the PCB. The software is working well.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update 7/4/16:
Happy 4th!

I've finally finished the design of the PCB and ordered it! Three board should arrive within 3 weeks. The sensors are: speed, tach, odometer, water temp, clock/timer. I've integrated the LCD to the board so it's all in one and the controls are still remotely connected. It made more sense this way. Also, I had to change the from the OLED display in my previous post to an LED backlit LCD. It generally looks the same, but it's now white instead of blue. This was because the OLED is NOT sunlight readable...kind of important. I've also built a solder reflow oven to be able to assemble the components on the board with ease. Now, with the PCB, I'll be able to easily test and refine the firmware with more ease.

I will post more pics when the boards and components arrive!
Board_Final_Ordered.JPG
Board_Final_Ordered_back.JPG

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Looking good :) One of these days going to have to break with old school and get into surface mount :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking good :) One of these days going to have to break with old school and get into surface mount :)
Surface mounts are the way to go...I would have quickly run out of space had I used through-hole components. I'll post some photos of my reflow oven setup when I start assembly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One board assembled!

One board has been built and so far so good! I had some difficulty manually soldering the display's FFC connector to the back of the board. I will post more pics of the assembly tomorrow. For now, check out the video.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Awesome work, turned out a thing of beauty. After seeing your pics makes me want to start delving into surface mount and pull my old ass out of the stone age.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Awesome work, turned out a thing of beauty. After seeing your pics makes me want to start delving into surface mount and pull my old ass out of the stone age.
Thanks! yea! SMDs+reflow is awesome. I plan to redesign this board to make it even smaller. I'll just mount the MCU directly to the board instead of the prototype board.

This is great!
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts