Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Welcome to the forum murry. Nice job with the cafe project. You will find several guys with the same type conversions here. I'm sure they'll chime in and have questions for you as well. Did you make the rear seat and cowl assembly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear section is made out of a pair of fenders from a mid 80's dodge caravan, we cut the shape out of the bottom. Then we added about a 3 inch strip down the middle. As far as mounting the seat we trimmed some of the original seat pan off and welded the tail to it, the best part about this is that the entire tail section comes off like the seat did. The only from modification we had to do was we cut a notch on the outside of each extension and bent them in a little.

The other nice thing about it is we welded a bottom onton the tail and put a hinged cover on the back of the seat, it you unbutton the back of the seat and you have a really nice storage area.

[attachment=696:0806101859.jpg]this kind of shows how it was put together, I will try to find some more detailed pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The pictures from the side make it look big and blocky, in person though it really isnt. My next plan before spring comes is to have a friend of mines shop make me a better seat cover, that will help it out a lot. A friend of mines mom sewed that one together for me but the back of it didnt turn out to well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it is the stock exhaust, I took them loose and moved them to the opposite sides. This moved the muffler brackets from the top to the bottom, and we put them back on. I cant remember for sure if where we bolted them back on at I will get back to you on that. When we moved them to that angle it left a very small gap at the bottom where the muffler goes into the H pipe, so the joint was wrapped with header wrap with a clamp on both ends of the wrap. It required very little work and very little cash.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.