Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I "stumbled" over a memory stick where I had stored most of the pictures I´ve taken of my bikes. I´ll add a few for each day until they´re all here. Most of them are now sold. None forgotten, some missed.

The very first one - a Suzuki GN 400 T, 1980. A model not sold in my country - taken in by a woman who migrated to here from Scotland. Bought it 1993. Sold 1994.

No 2. My first CX. 1981 model with a Pichler (Germany) fairing and hard luggage. Bought in 1995. Sold 1997.

No 3. GL 500 D, -82 with Hondaline luggage. Bought 1995. Sold.

No 4. Honda CBX 600 E, 1983. Sibling to the shaftie Nighthawk models. Sold.

No 5. Honda CB 400 N, -83. Later sold to my brother.

No 6. Honda GL 500 D, -82. With this one I went to UK, Ireland and Isle of Man (TT races) 1998. Sold

No 7. Yamaha XJ 400, -83. A real beauty with silk smooth engine. Sold.

No 8. Honda CM 400 T, -81. An absolute beauty I bought because my sister wanted one. She bought it after some time.

No 9. Yamaha XJ 900 F, -92. A good-looker with some power. Traded it in after a year or so against an ST 1100.

No 10. Honda CM 400 T, -82. I like the way this model looks. A local guy, running a driving school, heard of the bike and gave me an offer I couldn´t resist. Of course, someone soon dropped the bike. Sad! It was a nice one!

And that´s as many pictures (10) as are allowed on one garage wall. I have to start on another one!!

Look further down!

Sture

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hej Sture.

Nice bikes. I especially like the CB400, with the golden wheels & fork.

Michael

Thanks for the nice comment, Michael! Your 1978 / 1979?? model looks great too! The original blue paint scheme suits this model very well.

There´ll be two more of the same CB 400 model, later.

My avatar picture is taken not too far from where you live - at M´lady´s place. (Uh, um, maybe a little less than 300 km, which isn´t very much in that neck of the woods).

Trondheim - nice town! Great surroundings! The Hitra tunnel is a little scary! More than 260 metres below sea level! Steep, narrow, rather dark, cold and humid to boot.

Sture

HTML:
http://maps.google.se/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Kax%C3%A5s,+Krokom&daddr=Trondheim,+Norge&hl=sv&geocode=FYvbyAMdlRXUACmtvQ1CXiNuRjEQTBFSCUUDCg%3BFVffxwMdtZ2eAClTfgNHlzFtRjHU8zyPKMj3Cw&mra=ls&sll=61.606396,21.225586&sspn=30.42666,78.310547&ie=UTF8&ll=63.376005,12.146435&spn=28.733745,78.310547&z=4

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hi Sture.

Kaxås? That's not far from Åre. I go to Åre a couple of times per year, we sometimes rent a lodge or apartment there. Mostly during summertime. Nice place. Been to Krokom as well, and Østersund quite often. Nice aviation museum in Østersund.

Regards,

Michael

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Starting with the second "Garage Wall":

No 11. CX 500 -81. Bought it Feb. 1999 (72600 km). Triple bypass ~ 80000 km. Still with me (140800 km). Here with full Krauser K2 luggage.

No 12. Honda ST 1100, -95. A powerful and reliable beast. Heavy as an ox. Sold, as I used it less for each year - the last one only 800 km. Too heavy for my liking!

No 13. CX 500 -81. Bought it Nov. 2000. 54500 km. Still with me. 97600 km. "Triple bypass" at 97500. Now in the garage since a couple of years, waiting for a planned long trip sometime. This one took me and my son on a 19 day round trip to Germany, Czech republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Romania in 2001. Progressive front fork springs, KONI rear shocks. A really solid and tight bike!

No 14. Suzuki GS 500E, -90. Stumbled over it for little money. Sold it soon to a guy as a learner bike. Nice engine (180 deg. crank) roared nicely when caned.

No 15. CB 400 N, -83. As near mint as they get. I owner, genuine 10400 km when bought. Sold it very soon to my brother, who then passed his old Cb 400 (no 6, above) on to a new home.

No 16. Yamaha SRX 600, -86. Somewhat modified (bored to 620 cc, tuned head, cam and carbs). Modified exhaust (not on picture) Went as a swine. Dropped a valve. Fitted new standard dim. cyl, piston and cam. Sold it. Had fallen in love, though... A second one already in the garage (eBay Germany). They swapped "clothes" before I sold this one - i.e. the yellow paint parts are now on the new one and the original silvergrey parts went with this one...

No 17. Honda CX 500 Deluxe, -80. eBay (Germany) "find". A model we didn´t get in Europe. It took me a couple of winters (working really slow) to tidy it up - fuel tank, side covers and seat (eBayUS). Instruments (kmh) and some chrome (eBay Germany). It went really well but I didn´t like the riding position. Sold it to a fellow CX Club member.

No 18: CM 400 T, -82. It´s owner had given up on this one. It stood outside in a backyard - rain and snow. Clearly sad looking, some corrosion, missing side covers and with a torn saddle. Used a winter to make it look better. Sold it with a small profit.

No 19. Yamaha XJ 900 F, -90. Bought it cheap. Almost same story as above. Fuel tank + one muffler rusted through. Found nice, "new" parts + saddlebags, matching the trunk/topbox (eBay Germany).

No 20. CM 400 T, -82. I seem to have a weak spot for this model. Also a winter project. Sold.

·
Registered
402 Posts
WOW I'm really jealous

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOW I'm really jealous

I admit it looks rather much when displayed at the same time, like here.

Mind that I´ve sold the absolute majority of them, for one reason or the other. There are only a couple of them I really regret selling.

I´ve been retired since quite some years and this hobby of mine, tidying decent or halfdecent bikes up to more acceptable nick has killed many boring off-season hours.

The total value of the bikes I own now isn´t even on par with what a middleweight road bike would cost new. Keeping my bikes "alive" is rather satisfying (but takes some time (as intended) - and money).

Sture

No 21. Honda CM 400 T, -80. This model was taken in to Sweden first as -81 model. I won this one (eBay Germany) for a steal. Very good condition. Didn´t need much work to look really sweet. Next year I was offered a good price, so sold it, which I now regret.... It´s the only one with this paint in Sweden and it was practically spotless.

No 22. CX 500, -81. My long-term project bike. Bought it 2001 with torn Pichler full fairing and poor original red paint. Has been stood in my garage for almost 8 years without much being done to it. A worn fighter. 166000 km. Tidied it up with black parts and fitted (temporarily) my spare engine with 650 crank/clutch gear. Now waiting for its original engine (fresh triple bypass) to get back into the frame again. Fitted -80 model wheels (looking better). Very loud Marving 2-1 exhaust on picture.

Video clip (with exhaust totally open)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxrKhd3DmmM

Same system, now reasonably packed (still too noisy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4hXVztX_6o

No 23. CX 500, -81. eBay Germany. Took it home inside my Volvo on my way back home from a vacation trip to Prague. 60000 km. Seems to have been off the road. It had a 2/1 Motad exhaust + some damages on the engine front and rear covers. I got the proper parts and now it looks OK and runs really strong (when it´s dry weather).

No 24. Yamaha SRX 600, -86. eBay Germany. Got home inside my Volvo. Not on the road yet. Blown head gasket, so an engine drop will happen, sometime. Project bike. Has yellow paint parts (from # 16) now.

No 25. Honda CB 400 N, -82. M´lady´s trainer bike. Rough outside sitting bike when I bought it late last summer. Seems indicated 19000 kms were rather genuine (no wear on brake rotors, etc). But probably crashed, sometime - I had to replace some of the front end parts (wheel (slightly bent) + fork legs (wrong type - they were off a CX 500, -81) . With new exhaust parts and some "spit and polish" it now looks OK and runs like a charm. Maybe ambitions were a little too high for this one - no way I´m ever going to get my money back on it... But that goes for most hobbies....

That would be all - for the time being...

EDIT:

Oh, I completely forgot about this one:

No 26. CB 650 C, -81. Bought it as a "steal" last fall from a guy who believed something serious was wrong with it. It ran like crap. I told him it would probably be a very easy fix (fuel related), but he didn´t believe me. He persisted - I bought it (at his asking price). It turned out to be a seriously clogged fuel tap filter - nothing more. The bike looked really good, but I never liked riding it. Sold it after only one month, after having tidied it up a little. Almost tripled my investment. Something like this one won´t ever happen again, I believe!

This one joined the gang this spring.

A Yamaha XJ 900 F, -90, which my dentist owned for 15 years. 33000 kms. He hasn´t used it much - in average only about 200 kms each year. I´ve done regular maintanence on it for several years and also some minor repairs - carbs cleaned, fork seals, etc. We tried to sell it, but got no buyers. He asked me if I could imagine to buy it from him at a low price. I certainly didn´t need another bike, but thought I could sell it, at least at break-even. Didn´t get the time to fix it this spring- dragging brakes - so here it is - No 27 on my list. I´ll make a new try next year.

Sture

1 - 7 of 7 Posts