Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker, finally getting around to posting my GL project.
I do not recall what exact build I saw that made me want a GL500, but I do love monoshock bikes, and twin motors (v, parallel, etc). It may have been something BBCR Engineering did. Either way, I browsed craigslist and facebook and came across one that had Montana plates (I am in Minnesota), was dirty, neglected, had a crap flame paint job, but impossibly clean tank and most importantly, cheap ($300) with a promise that yes it runs.
With a title in my grubby hand, I tore the back end off and tossed everything that I knew I wouldnt be using. Dont worry, there wasnt anything of value - it was all broken stuff.
Apparently I didnt take any pictures, or if I did, I cannot find them.
As projects do, it then sat until late 2019, when I was looking for a distraction from my problematic Sportster chopper project.
I then powder blasted the worst of the grime off and sprayed some of the parts with plasti-dip before I committed to a paint scheme. Is all black and rust a paint scheme?
Another forum member that is in the area took a peek at the timing chain and gave it a once over helping me understand some of the finer points of the final drive and issues this family of motor have.
I cleaned and rebuilt the carbs and starter motor, and have since heard it run on a couple squirts of starter fluid.
I also tossed on a different, more sporty, if ancient GSXR front end I got from a guy for $50

Progress so far:
Cleaned motor and frame.
Cleaned and rebuilt carbs and starter motor
Used Methyl Salicylate (oil of wintergreen) to resurrect the manifolds and all vent and gas hoses (yes it really works, and well!)
Removed back end fender seats lights, airbox, h-box, radiator shroud, front end.
Swapped in a ducati showa shock that has the same dia eyes, but is about 1/2-3/4" shorter eye-eye (off SB 848/1098/1198)
Swapped in a 1985 GSXR front end with modified top clamp for riser clamps and tracker bars.
Cheap LED baja bar light (no high beam)
Pod filters.

Working on seat and mounts, muffler/exhaust layout and then battery mount (Shorai), wiring and electronics tuck, oil change, new tires, front brake rebuild, etc.

Anyway, here are some pictures of it as it sits now. I will try to do some more progress stuff but It is likely I will just post some finished shots and video.

Here you can see the crappy blue flame paint on the tank (ignore the XS 650 project in foreground).

Testing the baja LED headlight

And getting ready to create mounts for the seat. More likely be doing my own custom seat from the original passenger seat pan and a harley rear fender part, but this doesnt look too bad imo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks good. Probably should swap out that rear tire before you drive on the road:D
Haha yea I have never worn a tire down this far and it is scary to think what other kinda of risks the previous owner took... Like not changing oil for thousands of miles?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did the shorter shock lower the rear and if so, how much? I’m trying to lower my gl500I
Thanks so much
riderbob
Yes it dropped it a bit. It is 1/2-3/4" shorter shock but I also am using shorter forks and didn't take any measurement before

·
Registered
1 Posts
What shock did you pick for the single shock to hold weight option gonn! Be a super bike setup keep pics c9ming please!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as I said in the main post:
ducati showa shock that has the same dia eyes, but is about 1/2-3/4" shorter eye-eye (off SB 848/1098/1198)
What shock did you pick for the single shock to hold weight option gonn! Be a super bike setup keep pics c9ming please!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got new tires mounted (shinko tourmaster 120/90-18 front 140/90-16 rear) so I can work on final height and angle of tank and seat. Understatement of 2020: "I am psyched how this is turning out". Also got a new toy to build the seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts