Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well figured I might as well start a thread for my new toy, since I have a history of keeping things for a while and working on them.

Well here it is 20 minutes after I brought it home.

As you can see, i cheated and bought a bike that was already modified. I should have known better than to pick up somebody else's project though. After submitting all the paper work to get the title sent to me, I made a list of things I needed to get done to make it daily rideable, at least in my own inexperienced mind.

Derust gas tank (done)
wire in tail lights (done)
mount seat (done)
clean and secure under seat wiring (done)
install front brake (done)
fix rear brake
check and fill fluids (done)
flush radiator (done)
get new bolts and misc things (done)
replace fuses (done)
adjust clutch (done)
weld in rear cross member (done)
mount fender (done)
install mirror (done)
cap frame ends (done)
rebuild forks (saving for winter time)

there were more things that I had to do that I just worked along the way.

This is where I was at today.

Unknown to me, I actually had most of the front brake parts, even though at first I thought I was missing almost everything. Took quite a bit of work to get those pistons out though! They were seized in there. The only thing im really missing for the front brake system is the spring in the caliper.

I need to order a spring, a new seal and boot kit for the caliper and a MC rebuild kit and give the MC a good cleaning along with polishing up the pistons and I should be good to throw it all back together.

I then moved onto mocking up the rear fender. This is about where I want it to be, as far as sticking out goes, and it will sit a bit lower when its done.

Have to come up with a creative mounting design, and I am actually pleased with what I have come up with. My plan is to cut the cross member that was chopped, then I shaped it to the fender. Im going to make the fender bolt to the cross member, then when I have that square and I know where I want it, im going to weld the cross member back into the frame lower down the frame in a new location

also I of course need to cap the frame ends to keep it from rusting, so im taking some scrap of the old frame, cutting it roughly to the same size as the frame end, and am going to weld it over the hole. Then grind it down to match the odd shape of the frame.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im curious to see how your rear fender turns out as im at that point as well, gotta find a way to mount it up with the cut struts. I think today ill do as you and fill in the rear holes from chopping the struts with scraps ive cut off the bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im curious to see how your rear fender turns out as im at that point as well, gotta find a way to mount it up with the cut struts. I think today ill do as you and fill in the rear holes from chopping the struts with scraps ive cut off the bike.
i am as well!

now before I actually start to cut and weld...the fender in the picture is the front fender, I like the slimmer lower profile design over the giant factory fender. does it look alright? does anyone see an issue with it??

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like it...im using the front fender on the rear as well...may as well recycle right? Im planning on running a sissy bar from the shock lower bolts up over the wheel and mounting the fender to that to keep it low to the tire...plus it will move with the swingarm and can be nice and close to the rubber.

Also I need a sissy bar so I have a place to mount my licence plate and a rear light.

In for pics of your fender mounted up!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it...im using the front fender on the rear as well...may as well recycle right? Im planning on running a sissy bar from the shock lower bolts up over the wheel and mounting the fender to that to keep it low to the tire...plus it will move with the swingarm and can be nice and close to the rubber.

Also I need a sissy bar so I have a place to mount my licence plate and a rear light.

In for pics of your fender mounted up!
Right on man! Glad to know I'm note the only one that want to do that! I would want it a low to the tire as possible, but the fender is going on the frame...and well that moves haha

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Capping the frame ends. Pretty stright forward. Weld on extra frame, hammer a bit. grind to shape of frame and clean up. gonna spray it and it it will be all finished

What a transformation from above haha

A shot of both of them

·
Registered
24 Posts
That looks a lot better than mine...I put the plastes inside the hole and welded around, but covering it all up keeps it from getting holes...also I am just now learning the dial in my welders heat settings, so i should have gone a bit hotter when I did mine.

Any luck with that fender yet? I ended up mounting mine to the frame, works pretty well, not sure if you saw that yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright, here she is after a productive couple of hours of work.

How the fender is mounted, with 2 bolts, lock washers and caps. And of course the cross member welded back in

How I ran the wires. Goes into the fender by the light, through a hoop I welded in, then comes out rider's left right at the frame brace, where the female connectors will be.

Final product. Fender bolted on, light in the fender and it clears the seat!

will post a final picture when its all painted

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice work, very creative. I also like the slim fender covering the rear tire. Like your tool collection... or did you just have a rib eye steak? just kidding.. i have a couple knifes (short and long) like this in the tool box.:D

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work, very creative. I also like the slim fender covering the rear tire. Like your tool collection... or did you just have a rib eye steak? just kidding.. i have a couple knifes (short and long) like this in the tool box.:D

And ya, that knife is from dinner, I like to eat my steak in the garage with the bike so I can get to know it better and get new ideas.
Great work!

Concern: welding those plates onto the frame so near to the shock mounting points. How much have you stressed the frame with heat?
thanks man.

Ya know I had the exact same thought about welding near the shock mounts, but ultimately I don't think it was a huge deal. I alternated welding on each side and let it cool about half way. I don't think it will affect it negatively

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

From last night's maiden voyage!!

Got the tank on and filled and started to leak profusely out of the petcock 1 mile into its first street ride. Had to drain the tank and take it off again, only to find the o ring in the pet cock fell out. Got a new one, and got the tank filled and rode it to a restaurant to watch the bsu game. Rode good, and no fuel leak!

also just threw on an LED flasher for the turn signals, worked perfectly. Got it off super bright LEDs .com

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally got the front brake assy installed and working! After cleaning everything I put the caliper back together with new seals and boots (with the modified pad spring), and attached it. I had the dealership put the MC together because I wanted that done right. Got it all on the bike, bled the brakes which took a while, but everything worked perfectly first try! Brakes feel good and stop the bike, no grinding or rubbing from the caliper...im very impressed haha. I would have loved to ride it, but as you can see from the last picture there is some heavy ass rain in boise and all of the streets are turning into mini rivers. So no test for me.

On another shitty note, the MC resivior is leaking and there is some fluid seaping out of where it sits on the base, so my guess is the plastic resi is deformed or cracked somewhere or the o ring didnt sit right. I dumped out the fluid and put some silicone sealer around the gap to hopefully stop the leak. shall see how it works. if not I might need either a new plastic resi or to fix the oring, which doesent make sense because the o ring is new. Oh well, ill see if its still leaking tomorrow.

guys at honda cut the tab off the (incorrect) spring and it works fine and does the same job as the one it is supposed to be

Everything went together great, pistons slid in better than expected. new rubber seals are smooth as butter

all mounted

and the mc

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Alright. Well winter is here and my tags are expired until the new year. So now that I have had my fun riding for a couple months now is as good of a time as any to tear into it and get it ready for the spring. So my winter list of projects on the bike...

New valve cover gasket/reseal on right side. Its leaking quite a lot of oil

Take off radiator and try to find oil leak out of the front of the bike. also leaking oil

Install water/coolant temp gauge

Rebuild front forks and add spacers. They are way too soft and are leaking oil

anybody have any good tips on completing the above projects??

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check that no drops fall on lacquer/paint/varnish.
Brake liquid is a good remover for paint.
i fixed that issue a little while ago. I tightened down the screws holding on the cap super tight and it seems to have sealed up the o ring much better. no paint damage that i could tell.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts