Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, last night I went to bed thinking something just didn't look right to me, so this morning I fix that.

As you can see, One COP is stock as Murrey supplied it, The other I added the rubber seal from the OEM Spark plug boot

And this is the Before look in the Head

And the after

Now this will not change anything really but the looks (And may keep a little junk out of the hole) But for me it is a cleaner look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi,may I ask if the retaining plate is for race applications? Would the street set up be the same?does the coil fit loose? I have cracked coils \old wires etc.and am looking for solutions.(this still TOP SECRET ?)......I got scolded a few days ago for asking about COP set-up

·
Registered
25 Posts
I woke up with an idea in my head .Spot face a flat and weld a post on for that hold down screw. You could even get fancy and turn the post in a lathe to have fins that match the cover.(just a dream,eh?)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for race or street. My bike a daily rider. Hell its a full on bagger LOL. I use it for calls and pleasure rides. I love a nice cruise and am not a racer. This is one of the reasons why Murrey thought his carbs wouldn't be a good idea for me. I want MPG over MPH

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts
I woke up with an idea in my head .Spot face a flat and weld a post on for that hold down screw. You could even get fancy and turn the post in a lathe to have fins that match the cover.(just a dream,eh?)
I've been thinking the same thing. With all respect to Murray and his awesome engineering skills, that bracket looks a bit DIY.

R

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just remember the unit I received is a PROTOTYPE, not a production model. I do not think Murrey would release such a unit to the public. He likes to send people things that are as simple to install as possible. That leads to less "I can't figure it out" phone calls. I don't even think I would have received this if it wasn't for the fact of what I do for work. Many of you do not know but I work on Generators and small engines. I am a License electrician, ASE master tech, retired motor pool chief. If It wasn't for my skills I think Murrey would have told me to stuff it when I asked about the COPs.

But I do hope he does release these. It's a great way to replace bad coils. While the Chinese scooter coils work they are cheap and tend to burn out fast.

·
Registered
24,439 Posts
to all you guys that think you can do it better i dont mean to be insulting but make sure you know and under stand what the hold down bracket does

and why it does it

this one lets you remove the cop while it is still attached to the mount to set valves or change plugs with ot disturbing the

rocker cover studs

now to all of you who have never even held a COP unit in your hand let alone used one or installed can solve this in a

method that does the following

you cant spot weld to the rocker cover with any strength

you cant drill holes in the rocker cover

you cant weld to them

and you cant do anything that requires exchanging or modifying existing hardware

and you cant use a single fastener to hold down the COP as it will twist and break the single hold down screw does just

that holds it down to the bracket only

the slot in the mount plate is what stops it from twisting and breaking and really holds it down against the spring

hold the COP down and in alignment with the plug

prevents twisting and wire pulling or lifting causing a poor connection to the plug

is vibration and heat proof

can be removed and replaced at regular intervals quickly for service work

prevents east no tool theft of the COP units

mounts and prevents stud breakage in the head (pedestal mounting of the studs)

includes the rubber seal washers for the rocker cover holes

is made of life time quality so it does not ever need replacing

and can be mounted quickly and easily by a noob that is to excited to read directions

and does cost more that 10 dollars per head

LET ME HEAR ABOUT

but only after it meets all of the above

·
Registered
24,439 Posts
I don't say those things to insult anyone

But as someone who builds,aftermarket stuff

And handles tech support calls it is things I see all the time

So I prefer things so simple and intuitive to install they need no

directions

And a product you make money has some profit ratio that dwindles rapidly if you are on the phone with a frustrated client

·
Registered
297 Posts
Are the coils the same on a GL500?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now Murrey, I know that this currently wont with with a TI system. But I also know Rae-San makes a TI system could that unit (Or one like it) be made to drive a CDI coil? Maybe a conversion of what drives the spark with a exterior unit? Like some form of signal booster?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,885 Posts
Yes, I understand it's a prototype. I also appreciate that it would be prohibitively expensive to make the bracket other than a flat bar.

That's the negative, aesthetically. With a 650 rocker cover, you could have a bent bar that follows the contour of the cover. Not so on the 500.

R

1 - 20 of 27 Posts