Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 102 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
24,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
here is the thing
i designed these pipes to weld on to the joint rings where the outer wall meets the inner wall
in other words the strongest point on the header system. The mid pipe can be trimmed to meet
it for a perfect tig or mig weld you can even braze it.

now you guys are clamping it to the smaller inner pipe that is the inside walled steel untreated mild steel
40 year old corroded pipe my suggestion is either use the pipe as intended (imagine using something as designed)
or as a suggestion get the end that goes to the header expanded slightly (any muffler shop with a pipe bender can do this in seconds)

then slide it over the joint ring and clamp it at the joint ring using a harley type band clamp
if you clamp it to the inner pipe i bet it will break at the joint very shortly

·
Super Moderator
14,502 Posts
Sorry. It works now.

And Murray is right about clamping being non-standard. In my specific case I didn't want to weld because I run this machine in winter and I wanted to keep the plating as intact as possible. I bought these pipes so that I could have something better than clamping or screwing off the shelf bends together and I expected to have to figure out how to attach them before buying them. If you are going to use them in the warm half of the year welding is perfectly fine.

101 - 102 of 102 Posts