Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. When you refer to the "airbox", I take it you are referring to the air filter enclosure. Am I correct ?

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Murray: I asked you if you thought they would fit Eccles a while ago and you couldn't guarantee they would work but a couple of threads on the forum got me thinking about them again and I just had a look at more bikes with them (Its amazing what you can find with a Google image search - keywords CX500 Murray "quick build") and compared them with pics of Eccles and I can't see why they wouldn't fit.

A couple of questions:

1) I would like something a bit higher than the stock location ones but but Eccles sits in the parking lot at work in all sorts of weather so I would need to put tractor style exhaust flaps on if I used the upswept ones :laughing1: Have you considered having some made that are in between? What I would really like is something like the upswept but with another bend near the muffler end so they sit at a similar angle to the stock location ones but a couple of inches higher.

2) Are both pipes the same or are the right and left pipes different?

3) How much would it cost to ship a set to Canada? Will they fit in a flat rate box? I'm thinking maybe the extra space could be filled with some other parts (you always seem to have stuff for sale that I need) :evil6:

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
OK. I didn't expect you would be able to make a special bend just for me. I just wondered if there would be enough demand to be worth making a 3rd option...

$30 is for a USPS box, right? OK, that's what I was expecting.

I won't be doing anything on Eccles until the piles of white stuff are gone from the ground and I figure out what's wrong with Mr.H (I will have to start by pulling the carbs and going through them more carefully than I did last year but that has nothing to do with your pipes). I will have to think about what other work Eccles will need this summer and then I will email you in a few weeks and see what else you can cram into the box with the pipes :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can attach just about any mufflers to them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks fellas, I guess I should have worded my question better. I was trying to get a general consensus on the mufflers people have been using. After spending 650+ dollars on recent upgrades (murrays carbs, and pipes) I am left with little money for mufflers and wanted to know what folks out here are purchasing.

·
Super Moderator
14,015 Posts
Or ask at any local HD shops (dealers or aftermarket). A lot of people order new Harleys and tell the dealer to install aftermarket mufflers before they even take it around the block. Go figure :dontknow: So the dealers end up with piles of mufflers that were only on the bike from the factory to the dealership, usually without the engine even being fired up - in other words brand new except for bolt & clamp marks. Which is great for us because they work really well on a lot of Hondas and usually sound a lot better than they would have on Harleys.

They are really well made items too. I had one set last through 7 winters of abuse before one of them ejected its baffle. Their chrome was a little dull but there was only a very little surface rust around the mounting points, which is saying something because I don't wash a vehicle from the first snow until I'm pretty sure the salt is gone from the roads so they spend the winter wrapped in a baked on coating of road grit. My 'Wing (summer machine) has had the same set since I put it together in '97.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Glad to see these are still available... now that spring is here and the snow is gone, I can open my garage door and access the bike again. Will definitely be ordering these... once I debate straight or upswept. :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
The 'normal' pipes you have here seem to still have a slight upsweep at the end? I am fitting peashooter style mufflers so need them the be horizontal when fitted to the rear of the exhaust pipe (if you follow) ?

61 - 80 of 102 Posts