Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Really good idea on these extensions. You're going to end up selling a ton of them.
Now you got to work out selling the kit with carbs, extensions and mufflers.
Did something different on mine but this is excellent. Later.

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
i am not trying to become a parts house lol

i will leave that to my dealers

it costs way to much to inventory all this stuff and the cx/gl is not a high volume sales unit

i am invested as heavily as i can afford at the moment

also when you get into stuff like mufflers the shipping cost goes nuts and personal taste make a single choice

impossible

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
back to exhausts

here are the pics of the strainer mod

first remove cap and then push the centre out from the other end of the muffler and rewrap it with muffler packing (no pics, sorry of repack)

Image1_zpsa564a9aa.jpg

Then go to your local hardware store store and purchase two 1-1/2" metal sink strainers, they fit right into the end opening, and tack it into place.

Image_zpseda080c5.jpg
Thats what it looks like tacked into location. With new muffler packing wired into place around the perforated pipe, push it back into the muffler housing. The strainer is an extra baffle and along with the muffler packing it will reduce the ridiculously loud exhaust that the Shorty Reverse Cones are, and actually sounds sportier

Cheers

Reactions: Bt24

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Thanks Kam......great solution....I'll look at the 27" Dunstall pattern Emgos I'm planning to use on my '79 project and see if they need the same treatment.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
just pull the core out and check the muffler packing, emgo is horrible with what and how much they put in there

Reactions: GeorgiaMarine

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
just pull the core out and check the muffler packing, emgo is horrible with what and how much they put in there
I will....I have two sets of the 27" Emgo Dunstall patterns....a new one I bought for the '79 project and a set that is rusty enough to mediablast and paint or powdercoat black that were on a '78 I bought that was partially cafe'd.

You're going to have to bring a trailer down here soon...;).......I just bought another '78 CX, not picked up yet, but its titled. Doesn't shift into first and the rear fender/tailight is bent/damaged otherwise runs fine and was a daily rider.

I might have more '78 CX's right now than Murray......four at present - my rider, two titled project bikes and a complete untitled '78 that the engine seems to be frozen up on....

Victor

·
Super Moderator
15,333 Posts
Murray why don't you put all your mods on bikes and put them into a production model? Like "Murray cx500s"....
Cx500 M available in Standard, Deluxe and Custom.

·
Registered
42 Posts
At the risk of exposing my ignorance, what is the "H" box?

·
Registered
42 Posts
10-4 Like so many newbies I asked before I read the forum. I found wonderful info on it's function, design, etc. You Guru's are awesome, this site is a huge resource, thanks to all

·
Registered
131 Posts
Murry, I'm still a few months (hopefully not WAY longer) away from working on exhaust, but I've got a couple questions for you.
1. Will this fit the Custom? Custom has different peg, right?
2. If I try and switch the pegs (left to right) to a rear set setup, will these still work? Or will the peg be too far back to match the dip in the pipe?

·
Registered
24,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
the pipes can be shortened in the front so the bends can be moved forward

as to reverseing the foot pegs i have not tried it the same pipes will work on the custom deluxe standard or gl 500/650 so they might be ok

·
Registered
131 Posts
Great. Well hopefully in maybe Dec or Jan I'll contact you about a set of these and a set of Carbs.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts