Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
Murray: I asked you if you thought they would fit Eccles a while ago and you couldn't guarantee they would work but a couple of threads on the forum got me thinking about them again and I just had a look at more bikes with them (Its amazing what you can find with a Google image search - keywords CX500 Murray "quick build") and compared them with pics of Eccles and I can't see why they wouldn't fit.

A couple of questions:

1) I would like something a bit higher than the stock location ones but but Eccles sits in the parking lot at work in all sorts of weather so I would need to put tractor style exhaust flaps on if I used the upswept ones :laughing1: Have you considered having some made that are in between? What I would really like is something like the upswept but with another bend near the muffler end so they sit at a similar angle to the stock location ones but a couple of inches higher.

2) Are both pipes the same or are the right and left pipes different?

3) How much would it cost to ship a set to Canada? Will they fit in a flat rate box? I'm thinking maybe the extra space could be filled with some other parts (you always seem to have stuff for sale that I need) :evil6:

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
OK. I didn't expect you would be able to make a special bend just for me. I just wondered if there would be enough demand to be worth making a 3rd option...

$30 is for a USPS box, right? OK, that's what I was expecting.

I won't be doing anything on Eccles until the piles of white stuff are gone from the ground and I figure out what's wrong with Mr.H (I will have to start by pulling the carbs and going through them more carefully than I did last year but that has nothing to do with your pipes). I will have to think about what other work Eccles will need this summer and then I will email you in a few weeks and see what else you can cram into the box with the pipes :D

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Oh. SO does that mean you can't ship other stuff with them or just it might cost a bit more? You know how cheap I am :rolleyes: I don't like to give the Post Office any more than I have to....

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Or ask at any local HD shops (dealers or aftermarket). A lot of people order new Harleys and tell the dealer to install aftermarket mufflers before they even take it around the block. Go figure :dontknow: So the dealers end up with piles of mufflers that were only on the bike from the factory to the dealership, usually without the engine even being fired up - in other words brand new except for bolt & clamp marks. Which is great for us because they work really well on a lot of Hondas and usually sound a lot better than they would have on Harleys.

They are really well made items too. I had one set last through 7 winters of abuse before one of them ejected its baffle. Their chrome was a little dull but there was only a very little surface rust around the mounting points, which is saying something because I don't wash a vehicle from the first snow until I'm pretty sure the salt is gone from the roads so they spend the winter wrapped in a baked on coating of road grit. My 'Wing (summer machine) has had the same set since I put it together in '97.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
I am thinking the same thing. I am going to use my Murray's pipes on the machine I use in the winter and wherever I have welded the exhaust in the past rusts faster.

The Murray pipes are the right size to fit snugly into the Harley mufflers I have so using the Harley clamps there shouldn't be an issue.

But they are really loose on both original headers and the new set from Silver's. The difference looks to be about 1/8" so I can easily make adapters out of a piece of exhaust pipe to fill the space. I really don't want to use U-bolt muffler clamps this time. Anyone have any suggestions about suitable clamps?

Also, any ideas about how to keep them from rusting when they salt the roads? (BTW, another reason I don't want to weld is so I can replace them easily if they do rust out).

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
These would be ideal except that I'm not sure whether they will fit. The page says "up to 2" but I've never seen them in person and its hard to tell from the pic whether they will work on 1.75" OD pipes. I submitted a question about it so we'll see if I get an answer. The next time I'm going to be near an exhaust shop I'll take the pipes with and ask there too.

Gun Table Steel Trigger Metal

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Sorry. It works now.

And Murray is right about clamping being non-standard. In my specific case I didn't want to weld because I run this machine in winter and I wanted to keep the plating as intact as possible. I bought these pipes so that I could have something better than clamping or screwing off the shelf bends together and I expected to have to figure out how to attach them before buying them. If you are going to use them in the warm half of the year welding is perfectly fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts