Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you have a rusty Hbox, getting rid of air box, Murrays Mikuni kit, or switching to newer mufflers............this is the easiest way to upgrade. It cost me $140 at a muffler shop for 2 bent up foot and half sections of muffler pipe. All you need to do is decide location of muffler and weld it
Doesnt get any easier

·
Registered
460 Posts
Yup go ahead and sign me up for an upswept set! Can't wait to get back to wrenching on my scooter!

·
Registered
100 Posts
They look great, the upswept pair look like the kind of thing i'm after.

Any idea on shipping cost to the UK, and what are they fabricated from?

Cheers

·
Registered
24,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
they are made of steel and i would have to find out shipping cost

as for a y pipe no i do not have any plans to make any

they dont make as much power and there are several on the market for those that really want them

·
Registered
85 Posts
My understanding is that the H box helps create back pressure. With your custom carb setup, is this back pressure unneccesary?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Just wondering if it was possible to run without the h-box with stock Keihin carbs.

I'm working on a CX500 Eurosport which has a 2 into 1setup at the moment but I prefer the twin pipe look.

Or is it recommended to upgrade to mikuni,

Thanks
uploadfromtaptalk1374951718884.jpg

Not sure the model of Keihin carbs these are, but they look different to the ones in Larrys book lol

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Yup go ahead and sign me up for an upswept set! Can't wait to get back to wrenching on my scooter!
Here's a picture of Murray's upswept extensions mocked up (not cut or welded) on my '79 project:

I'm waiting to cut them and have them welded because I plan on a more conservative look for this bike.....the upsweeps will go on the next build.

The mufflers are 17" Emgo Shorty Dunstalls.....removable, re-packable baffles. There is plenty of the extensions inside the mufflers....I slid them down where they are because I liked the position visually.....they could go up another 6" or so if you wanted.

VC3

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Email Murray at murrayscarbs.com - he could tell you about shipping to the UK I bet.....wouldn't be surprised if he's already sent a set or two there.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
VC3,
did you repack the shortys? I also added a 1-1/2" drain strainer tacked to end of the perforated inside pipe to cut back the noise, they were loud as hell

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
They are an easy set of pipes to work with provided you plan first and then double check before cutting anything off. Save yourself the hassle now and pull the centres out of the mufflers, get some muffler packing (not the stuff that looks all fluffy like) and repack them. The strainer was something I found in a Link that Murray sent me, and for the $4 in strainers + 3 good tack welds, it was worth it. It really cut the noise down (and they are NOISY)
I can send you some pics if need, just let me know

1 - 20 of 102 Posts