Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to doing Murray's oil filter mod.
I paid about $18 for his adapter, $5 for his "mod-kit".
I chose the Metric (shorter filter) option.
Any Wix 51390 / Fram 2865 series filter (76-79 Honda Civic / Accord).
It wasn't common enough to find at Walmart.
My local AutoZone was able to have one next day pick-up for $4.97.
So, under $30 for the whole deal, and grinding down one ring of aluminum for 5 min.
I now have a filter that has a significantly bigger volume of media, and it's cheap / easy to replace.
I know the look is subjective, but those little fins could get cruddy, and they live in direct spray of the tire.
The new filter is smooth, for easy clean up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Finally got around to doing Murray's oil filter mod.
I paid about $18 for his adapter, $5 for his "mod-kit".
I chose the Metric (shorter filter) option.
Any Wix 51390 / Fram 2865 series filter (76-79 Honda Civic / Accord).
It wasn't common enough to find at Walmart.
My local AutoZone was able to have one next day pick-up for $4.97.
So, under $30 for the whole deal, and grinding down one ring of aluminum for 5 min.
I now have a filter that has a significantly bigger volume of media, and it's cheap / easy to replace.
I know the look is subjective, but those little fins could get cruddy, and they live in direct spray of the tire.
The new filter is smooth, for easy clean up.
Nice!
I went with the larger filter. I have the adapter for the Gl650, but am going to wait until next oil change. @DavidInWisconsin talked about painting GL luggage with a black undercoat to give a pebble surface. That might work on filters too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
At lot of newer bike go the front of engine location, which although a little vulnerable in off-road shouldn't be an issue for most street riding.
Had some bikes where the filter sat in a recess under the bike-a bit annoying as grit would always gather in the recess...if ridden in wet weather
Are most of these filter bodies able to hold a magnet? if so any thoughts on attaching a magnet on the filter face.....:p...akin to a large magnetic drain plug....seen these available in reusable forms

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
At lot of newer bike go the front of engine location, which although a little vulnerable in off-road shouldn't be an issue for most street riding.
Had some bikes where the filter sat in a recess under the bike-a bit annoying as grit would always gather in the recess...if ridden in wet weather
Are most of these filter bodies able to hold a magnet? if so any thoughts on attaching a magnet on the filter face.....:p...akin to a large magnetic drain plug....seen these available in reusable forms
I've seen protective covers for automotive filters like the black and orange one I have on my GL500.
The magnet sounds like a good idea. I don't know if they will hold one.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I used a magnet on a R1150R/other BMW (memorys a bit vague which one after 15 years lol) it was a screw in filter - the magnet was in a "rubber holder" attaching to the filter face-seemed to sit there OK under the bike.

Though-I'll preempt some responses...there shouldn't be metal in your oil in the first place....:D

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Looks like I'll be switching from Orange & Black to Gold & Black
I'd prefer Silver & Black. ;)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Are you using synthetic oil? If not, don’t know why you would pick that filter unless you’re going strictly by looks. For a motorcycle that turns such high rpm’s an oil filter is one of the most important items on the bike. I don’t understand why you would want to use the cheapest brand out there. Filters are cheap anyways so why not use the best?

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
Are you using synthetic oil? If not, don’t know why you would pick that filter unless you’re going strictly by looks. For a motorcycle that turns such high rpm’s an oil filter is one of the most important items on the bike. I don’t understand why you would want to use the cheapest brand out there. Filters are cheap anyways so why not use the best?
I like to hear people complain about them. :)

Actually, the orange & black was the example at Murray's site so I figure he wouldn't steer us wrong.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I highly recommend researching the subject just a little bit for yourself so you can make an informed decision rather than just figuring based on a picture. There are quite a few youtube videos out there that compare different filters and Fram is consistently at the bottom.

·
Registered
399 Posts
despite being a popular brand-from what ive seen Fram (mcycle) doesn't do well in oil filter "de-construction" i.e.number of pleats, sealing robustness etc when filters are open.
This will differ from model to model tho' as they have a range of filters

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
despite being a popular brand-from what ive seen Fram (mcycle) doesn't do well in oil filter "de-construction" i.e.number of pleats, sealing robustness etc when filters are open.
This will differ from model to model tho' as they have a range of filters
I did research a couple years ago and I've seen reviews both ways. A lot of "chicken little" surrounds the bad reviews and a lack of understanding about different construction methods and superior modern materials.

Fram oil filters are not as bad as people make them out to be
If you’re wondering if Fram Oil Filters are any good, you might be surprised just how good they are.
Overall Best: FRAM Ultra Synthetic XG4386

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you mean by "stick a magnet to the face of the filter" putting it outside the filter will do little if any good as the magnetic lines of flux will be essentially short circuited by the steel case. The magnet needs to be inside the filter with its poles exposed to be effective at trapping steel particles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you mean by "stick a magnet to the face of the filter" putting it outside the filter will do little if any good as the magnetic lines of flux will be essentially short circuited by the steel case. The magnet needs to be inside the filter with its poles exposed to be effective at trapping steel particles.
Ive seen magnets to the face(front), inside as you suggest and and around the filter.

Happy to be educated on this one-but If what you say is correct ..a magnetic parts tray where a magnet is below a steel plate/dish wouldn't work.....

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about installing a magnetic drain plug?

·
Registered
399 Posts
How about installing a magnetic drain plug?
Yes have these on the CX-the engine oil plug always relatively clean.
There are also magnetic plugs for the final drive I have fitted.
The US made "Gold Plugs" seem pretty strong and maintain the strength over many years....

My use of "exteral magnet" was as per the link in #8- only on a BMW with a recessed "auto-type" screw in.. some years ago-maybe just pampered that bike...it had stock magnetic drain-plugs at engine, gearbox, and final drive. Maybe I was a pampering BMW-owner...lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts