Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished with cutting and fitting the exhaust extensions from Murray. Taking them in for welding tomorrow. For those who have not wrapped the extension pipe, how much heat are you getting on your feet? Not a big fan of wrapped exhaust, but if I need to wrap the extensions I will. That would be the only part of the exhaust I would wrap.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dang, thought so. thanks Murray. any suggestions on what make/manufacturer of wrap to purchase?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I scrapped the whole pipe wrap idea. Never liked the look (actually tired of seeing it) and the issues of trapping moisture and rusting pipes, painting to "keep new and spiffy" and eventual rewrapping are more than enough reasons. The stuff is overpriced ($50 for 50 ft. at 2 different auto parts stores) and tying it off with those stainless ties doesn't look that great. Of course this is all IMHO. Which means little :) If you like the look of bandages on pipe then good on.

Took my pipes in for ceramic coating and will get them back in two days. He even sprays inside the pipes (reaches down about 8" inside) The collars will be ceramic coated also. Cost - $65 and the looks alone will be worth the additional cost vs. wrap and spray paint. I'll post pics when I get them back.

Reactions: dfoustou

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Local guy working out of home shop part-time. Does a lot of custom color powder coating also. He had some custom headers from a camero and mustang that he just finished. very nice. Maybe its cheaper because its a home business done on the side. The ceramic coating he uses can handle temps up to 2000 deg. He blasts off the chrome and that takes time. Now I might owe him another $20 if the chrome removal takes longer, but he didn't think so. I would be happy to pay him the extra.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
never knew that. sounds cool. i don't think my guy has the knowledge or equipment to pull that off. now I have to search for pics and the process that they use.

·
Registered
134 Posts
i use 2 inch wrap and buy a 50 foot roll and cut it into 2 parts

i use about 40 feet of it
Went with this set based on your recommendation of 50'-0"... I'll let you know how it goes. It doesn't come with the silicone spray, but I figure that's probably easy to source locally.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the headers and extension pipe back from ceramic coating. I was told to wait a couple more days for the coating to cure completely before starting. dang. Finished off the install of the new clutch and heavy duty clutch springs. also included a pic of the difference between OEM springs and heavies.

Reactions: Adam312

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Clamp the heat shield to your pipes when fitted to bike with brake and gear levers, pegs etc. fitted.

Mark the bolt holes onto the pipe. Weld M6 nut around your marking.

Mount hear shields with a couple of fibre washers between shield and pipe.

I've not done it because I changed my mind about the heat shields but I sussed it out.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
3 Posts
Clamp the heat shield to your pipes when fitted to bike with brake and gear levers, pegs etc. fitted.

Mark the bolt holes onto the pipe. Weld M6 nut around your marking.

Mount hear shields with a couple of fibre washers between shield and pipe.

I've not done it because I changed my mind about the heat shields but I sussed it out.
Yeah that makes sense. I will try it and see how it goes. Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts