Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I’m doing my first test rides and obviously I have a lot of stuff to fine tune.

Among these, oil leaks:
1) where the clutch bracket is. I’m getting some oil out of the pin.
2) neutral switch. I believe I had to put a new switch.
3) last but not least and this is the one I’m a little concern is the pulser plate on the back of the engine. I changed the startor for a G8 from Caltrics and I’m running Rae San. It used to be a CDI from 1980. I took out the cover plate, clean it, gasket is obviously new and is definitely coming out from there.

Any idea would be appreciated,

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
The clutch arm has a seal that might need replacement - 12 x 18 x 3.

You have fitted an aluminium washer behind the neutral switch? You could remove it and reinstall with a little aviation permatex or similar.

Check that the advance cover bolts are tight. You may have to re do this one.

Is the engine breather clear? If the breather is blocked they will always find somewhere to leak from.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clutch arm has a seal that might need replacement - 12 x 18 x 3.

You have fitted an aluminium washer behind the neutral switch? You could remove it and reinstall with a little aviation permatex or similar.

Check that the advance cover bolts are tight. You may have to re do this one.

Is the engine breather clear? If the breather is blocked they will always find somewhere to leak from.
Thanks @CXPHREAK !

I will replace the seal for the clutch arm.

Regarding the neutral switch I don’t exactly remember.

The advance cover bolts (the 2) were tight but really soft since Ray mentioned not to tight them too much - it could brake the resin from the plate. The cover plate has been removed and inspected today. I made sure to tight the bolt firmly.

Breather tubes are ok, I did a full rebuilt on the engine. That leak from that area really bother me, it’s not easy to identify the cause.

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
The screws or bolts retaining the actual hall plate have no bearing on oil sealing.

But the cover itself and the grommets above do. If this was done engine in you may have stuffed up the gasket install. What is a simple measure engine out becomes more difficult with limited working space and visibility..

The grommet is in two parts - upper and lower.

The upper does little to keep oil in but the lower is the important one.

Were any wire holes left empty in the lower grommet?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@CXPHREAK The work had been done engine out. Below a picture of how it looked like.

I will get the cover plate out again and check.
Grommets are new from the new stator as well but it has to come from here. I could see on the back of the cover plate some trace of oil,like it had splashed from there.

@nolimitz I could try that !

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Curtain

·
Super Moderator
22,915 Posts
I put cut down nails into the unused holes from the top side so that they can't fall into the motor should they come loose. I install them with silicon.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put cut down nails into the unused holes from the top side so that they can't fall into the motor should they come loose. I install them with silicon.
Took the cover plate again,
The wires from the hall plate might stick out a little too much and prevent a good seal.
See pictures below

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@nolimitz rtv worked !

I have another minor leak as well from the left cylinder. I remember seeing it when I bought the bike but did not ride it.
It’s a little bit of coolant.
I put head gasket from Murray with copper spray.. so not sure why it’s doing that.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Grille Bumper Automotive design

1 - 11 of 11 Posts