Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not stoked on the sound of my MAC muffler - baffled or not. I was wondering if anyone would recommend a higher quality / better sounding muffler replacement that would work with the MAC piping (I'm not sure the diameter, and haven't seen the bike in a week to measure it.)?

Baffled it's high pitched and raspy. Un-baffled it's just straight obnoxious.

I'm looking for a deeper, muffled tone - but louder then stock. dB wise - the baffled MAC is good.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
You'll have to wait for Blindstitch to get home to get his opinion. But I sent him a stock Harley Dyna Glide muffler that he put on his Mac. He said it sounds a lot better than it did with the Mac pipe. It fit right in too. He just had to make a hanging bracket for it.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'll second that.

I actually put a Sportster muffler on my MAC and it really helped the bike run better and sounds soooo much better. A sweet little rumble. My baffles were disintegrated on the original MAC!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I don't know the year of mine. I got it with a whole mess of other Harley parts. They did NOT have the crossover hole though, which made me very happy. One said 883 or sportster or something and the other said XL I think.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Not sure about the year either. But the one I sent him was for the larger harleys. Not the 883. And yes that's the type on that bike. But you have to be careful when you buy one. Some of the newer harleys have catalytic converters in the pipes. Get one without that inside it.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
I don't know about that. But you could use the muffler from a sportster. They are only 18" long. The dyna is 21".

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't have the mac, but I have a straight pipe on my bike, literally just a straight piece of pipe, although then ends are slash cut, I think my friend just found piping and made them, don't know where they came from, but I would like to get more of a megaphone style like what the Shadow has, my friend has a 99 Shadow 600 that is LOUD, and sounds good, I don't care to be that loud, but I would like the rumble he has, wondering how much the right pipe would help with that, I know a lot of it's the engine, mostly the cam, but I'd imagine with the right pipes my CX could sound like a real bike instead of just acting like one lol

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Mine is quiet. Maybe a hair louder than stock but other than that you wouldn't believe it was off a harley. You would think that they would cut holes in them and add marbles and other crap. But on any other bike they sound great. And you can get them pretty cheap. The down side of the harley muffler which is actually the mac exhaust is that the mac muffler fits over the pipe and squeezes down. So it's best to take a cutting wheel and cut 4 grooves in the end of the mac pipe so the clamp can hold the muffler.

But it's a pretty good combo. I actually didn't make a bracket. I tried but was failing badly with the stock muffler guides on the harley muffler. What I did was put a bolt up to where the mac exhaust hanger sat and welded it straight to the muffler. And it worked out pretty good.

Some have said that I should have welded a larger washer to the area first though and then welded the bolt for a solid weld that covered more surface area.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Use a pipe connecter available at any Auto Parts store. Mine works fine: used the Mac clamp. AGB-1

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you don't mind spending the $$ a Rush muffler for a Sportster sounds good. The baffles are replaceable with different sizes from 1.75 to 2.50. You order them with the baffle you want and you can order just one muffler. Or get some Screaming Eagles someone is trying to sell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.