Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all four for a 1978 restoration that I am finishing up (these are the ones that slip between the headers and h-pipe / h-pipe and the mufflers).

Some pretty outrageous prices out there. Hate to pay $30 US plus shipping/set of 2. Anyone know of any possible cross-over with automotive parts that I may be able to find cheaper?

It appears the OEM pieces were produced from cast iron (I assume for malleability). If necessary, can they be machined from steel? Low carbon, stainless or otherwise? If so, can anyone provide accurate dimensions?

Many thanks in advance...

-tom

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are some on ebay now for around 6 or 7 dollars and free shipping but they are two differant sizes the mufflers are a differant size from the header pipes. They just look like cast iron over the years. I've been using header wrap. I wrap it around the pipe then secure it down with a little mechanics wire. I take the clamps off the H box and spread out the tabe so they slide in easy then I tighten the clamps down and your good to go. I've done about a dozen bikes like this with no problems. It's easy, cheap, and works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts