Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with FloaterDave and we are committed to a Mt. St. Helens trip this Saturday. Weather looks really nice and we'll be leaving SE Portland at ten am. Total route will be around 200 miles. We will take advantage of gas stations when we can and probably need to bring an extra gallon or so for you custom tankers. If we plan well, we won't need the extra gas, but we'll bring it along for safe measure.

Ride will be at a moderate pace and we'll make fairly frequent stops for photos and butt rest.

Anyone interested should definitely get in touch with me to work out the details. PM me for my phone number and we'll figure it out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
gurrr.... I would have tried to meet up with ya guys but I leave for Michigan that day.

·
Registered
163 Posts
wootersen. what route are you taking?? snow pack is 300% above normal for this time of year. you wont make it windy ridge via 25 road to 99 road. they will be lucky to have it open by the 4th of july. lots of slides and road damage and there has been some talk of maybe not opening it up at all this year. they do have 90 road open past curley creek rd but not sure how far though. if you could get to 88 road and then over the top that would be fun to. but i bet 88 road is snowed in before you get to the top. still lots of snow at around 2,500 ft. but you can just go as far as you can get and then turn around. it's all fun. be sure to fill up in cougar. it's your last chance. sometimes there is gas at "North Lake" but don't count on it.

Ravyn

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ravyn,

I was hoping you would chime in here. I was planning on taking the back route to windy ridge. I would definitely be bummed if I got turned around because of snow but I think it's worth the risk. I have maps of the area and we can have a plan "b" but I would like to get up there as far as possible. Wise words on filling up with Cougar.

Are you able to join us ? We could use a local on the ride.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ravyn,

I was hoping you would chime in here. I was planning on taking the back route to windy ridge. I would definitely be bummed if I got turned around because of snow but I think it's worth the risk. I have maps of the area and we can have a plan "b" but I would like to get up there as far as possible. Wise words on filling up with Cougar.

Are you able to join us ? We could use a local on the ride.

hi woot..... i can pretty much assure you that you will not be able to get up 99 road. on a good year it does not open up untill the july 4th weekend. not to sure how far you will get up 25 road. prolly be a good idea to call the forest service and see which roads are open. or log onto there web site. i'm pretty sure you can get to johnston ridge observatory off I5 but not as much fun as windy ridge.

woot... i would love to join you but last friday i broke a rib and twisted my right knee and my neck. still taking alot of vicodin for pain.
hehehehehe

know what i mean
not sure i will be ready by then but i will keep you informed. let me know what you decide. maybe i can suggest a route.

Ravyn

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hi woot..... i can pretty much assure you that you will not be able to get up 99 road. on a good year it does not open up untill the july 4th weekend. not to sure how far you will get up 25 road. prolly be a good idea to call the forest service and see which roads are open. or log onto there web site. i'm pretty sure you can get to johnston ridge observatory off I5 but not as much fun as windy ridge.

woot... i would love to join you but last friday i broke a rib and twisted my right knee and my neck. still taking alot of vicodin for pain.
hehehehehe

know what i mean
not sure i will be ready by then but i will keep you informed. let me know what you decide. maybe i can suggest a route.

Ravyn

Wow, sorry to here about your injuries. Doesn't sound like fun. I think we're going to head up as far as we can. We'll bring along some extra gas cans and see how far up we can make it. The road from Carson has a lot of twisties and elevation changes so even if we get turned around it should still be a great ride.

This ride is still a go for anyone that wants to join us. Moderate pace, lots of stops, the more the merrier.

John

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
I am so bummed I missed this original post. I talked to John on the phone yesterday. I just missed out. I would have got in on this had I paid attention. ,,,,,, sigh

Glad you guys had a nice ride.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey woot.... how was your ride. sure wish i could have been with you. still pretty sore.

How far did you get? What route did you take? I logged onto GFP web site yesterday. Still lots of roads closed up there. Were you able to make it up Curley Creek Road and into Carson or was it still snowed in? "if you went that way"

Ravyn

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EPIC !! I've been thinking about it all morning. Sorry about the delayed report, I got home last night and promptly fell asleep on the couch.

We were joined by one of Dave's good buddies Andy who had just bought a BMW R100 about a month earlier. Andy had been riding quite a while and the Beemer was a fine looking bike. We left SE Portland at Ten and headed north to Vancouver and then east on SR14. Lookie lous an Sunday driver types were out in full force so being patient on the highways went a long way towards maintaining sanity.

We stopped at the usual Bonneville dam for photos and coffee break.

(from left to right, Brown betty, my GL500, Andy's R100, and Dave's CX Custom)

That's a shit-ton of water coming out of the Dam. Snow pack is huge up here this year and the dam is operating at full capacity.

BTW, Weather is as nice as it looks. Around 70 with a light breeze.

We continued East until the town of Carson and then headed North on Wind river road. Wind river road is not especially exciting but it was nice to get away from traffic. We headed north to Meadow creek which climbed in elevation and had constant twisties. This was by far, my favorite stretch of road on the trip. From there we headed down curly creek road and north towards Windy ridge. I expected to get turned around by the turn off to Windy ridge, but I didn't think the road would be gated 30 miles prior to that. I was a little bummed, but really we came up to ride some kick-ass roads and enjoy the weather, which is exactly what we were doing. We couldn't ask for anything more.

We decided to turn around and hit the Mclellan viewpoint at Curly creek road.

(our three trusty steeds, Look at all that luggage !)

From there we had some decisions to make. We could go east to Cougar and see some decent scenery and then slab it back into town on I5 or continue east towards Trout Lake. Trout lake sounded like a better option, I don't think we were ready to head home yet. One route could take us there, but it looked like around ten miles of gravel roads, which didn't sound too fun, but did sound better than heading all the way back to the gorge to head east. About four miles up the road, however....

(Dave maintaining a shit-eating grin despite another unexpected route change)

...SNOW !!

Bikes weren't going any further. About this time we realized that it wouldn't hurt our feelings at all to have to ride the roads we came up on again so we started heading back towards Carson. We topped off the tanks in Carson and called it a day and headed home. Epic ride all around, couldn't have asked for better company for the trip and weather was perfect. Having that much fun on thirty year old cheap bikes should be illegal. Thanks Dave and Andy for joining me for the day.

Snow pack will continue to be an issue for the next couple of months, but don't let that stop you from riding around up there. The roads are incredible. I think we'll be doing this ride again for sure later in the summer and go all the way to the top of windy ridge, from there we can make the full loop to Cougar.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Sounds like a great ride. Thanks for sharing.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
.......damn......

Glad you guys had a wonderful ride. Don't forget to hook us next time. Rampsbaby will be ready soon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cool pictures, glad you had a good safe ride. For anyone who has never been to that area, put it on your list. Pretty amazing. Oh the boring stories I could tell about how much ash I shoveled when that mountain blew.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
..... when that mountain blew.

....on my 35th Bday
The second big eruption came in June, and I got to see that one first hand when I was in Portland at a management meeting. A lot of people made *and still do* a lot of money from the ash, be it glassware or whatnot.

·
Registered
163 Posts
hi woot. sure glad you guys had a good ride. pretty much what i figured for snow. they say they may not open up windy ridge and 99 road this year. that would be a bummer. you say you made it up to mclellen meadows from the carson side but then chose not to continue on to 90 road and then on into cougar and from there on to woodland. that would have been a good finish to your ride with only a 20 mile freeway ride into portland. there are several ways to bypass I5 by turning off 503 before you get to woodland with some of the best twisties on the whole trip. hard to explain tho. i am headed to wis. to visit family in my pickup on tuesday, broken ribs and all. about a week and a half. when i get home i should be healed enough to get on my wing with the little camper trailer and head southwest for nevada, utah, arizona, new mexico, and then back home. three to four weeks on the road. maybe when i get back we can hook up and do some ridin up around st helens or mt. adams.

i have a lady friend that makes her living guiding xcountry ski trips, snow shoeing, and hiking trips in the giford pinchot nat. forest and many other destinations so she will keep me informed on whats open and whats not. she is climbing mt. hood this wednesday. hope all goes well for her.

talk to ya soon, Ravyn

·
Registered
290 Posts
I drive between Oregon and Montana about monthly. There is a town named LIND in the Washington scab-lands, due east of Mt. St. Helens, whose road-sign is humorous: "Go ahead drop in! Mount Saint Helens did!" Ha!

Montana Clifford

·
Registered
163 Posts
hey montana. have you stopped at or used any of the hot springs along hiway 12 lately. we used go there a number of years ago when kayaking the lochsa. ar the parking lots still safe to park a car in or are they being vandalized? i am heading for wis. tomorrow and could take 12 over to missoula and then pick up 90. a good hot soak might feel good on the ole broken ribs.
are they still clothing optional or have they been "civilized" ? drove buy there a few years ago and stopped at the new visitor center but it's been awhile since i visited the hot springs.

Ravyn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.