Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
standard cx500 1980
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm getting 120mls per 8 liter, is that good / bad or what anyone know ?
also can someone convert it to MPG for me thanx.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
425 Posts
3.8 liters/gallon.

I assume your abbreviation of "mls" is for miles.

So, (120 miles/8 liters)*3.8 liters/gallon = miles/gallon. The magic of math and fractions

You are getting about 57 mpg. Yes, that is good.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Since the calculations are in US gallons, 57/mpg is better than good, it’s very very good. You must not be much fun to ride with! 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Super Moderator
5,865 Posts
Measuring fuel mileage is an inexact science if based on filling the stock tank and on distance measured by the bikes odometer.. Best, most reliable results would be had by averaging over several tank fulls.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
3.8 liters/gallon.

I assume your abbreviation of "mls" is for miles.

So, (120 miles/8 liters)*3.8 liters/gallon = miles/gallon. The magic of math and fractions

You are getting about 57 mpg. Yes, that is good.
Bike Kid is in the UK - our gallons (and pints) are larger than your measly US units 😉! 1 Imperial Gallon = 4.55 litres. So it's actually approx 68mpg!
(I've touched an average of 70mpg on a very long run over several tanks full - it wasn't slow riding, mainly just no hard acceleration, yet if was still fun. It usually averages about 58-60mpg.)

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,431 Posts
Bike Kid is in the UK - our gallons (and pints) are larger than your measly US units 😉! 1 Imperial Gallon = 4.55 litres. So it's actually approx 68mpg!
(I've touched an average of 70mpg on a very long run over several tanks full - it wasn't slow riding, mainly just no hard acceleration, yet if was still fun. It usually averages about 58-60mpg.)
Aren't your miles shorter, too?
You Brits are cheating on both ends! 🤣

Reactions: Paul.slough.uk

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Ill add 50mpg is pretty ok/good for any carbed bike....when they sold honda 750s a selling point was "power plus 50mpg")

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
425 Posts
Nuts....... I forgot about the overstuffed UK gallon.

Anyhow, the math procedure is the same. Just shift the conversion of litres to gallons (the gallon you use).

or to make this more confusing......use the Asian version..... Litres/100 kilometers. 🤪

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Ill add 50mpg is pretty ok/good for any carbed bike....when they sold honda 750s a selling point was "power plus 50mpg")
I consistently get 55+mpg on my VFR750, yet still make the most of it's performance where it's legally possible (there's so many more lower speed limits now, and traffic...)

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,472 Posts
My GL650 Standard got 54mpg last fillup on the annual trip and I wasn't easy on the throttle.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
178 Posts
Hi All
One thing for sure up here in Canada we fill up when the tank is empty
We also have lots of long distances between gas stations in some places
I ones owned a German made bike and that one would average 65 to 70 mil per imperial Gal
My CX500C to much fun to ride and it likes the rev so I fill the tank when on reserve

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Hi All
One thing for sure up here in Canada we fill up when the tank is empty
We also have lots of long distances between gas stations in some places
I ones owned a German made bike and that one would average 65 to 70 mil per imperial Gal
My CX500C to much fun to ride and it likes the rev so I fill the tank when on reserve

TLD 🇨🇦 🇩🇰
You can say "Bmw" not verbotten here... if that was the marque.

My K100RS got round 60-70mpg cruising 120 to 140km/hr....but was efi....

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have never managed over 60 british mpg on my CX. Despite what my fuelly profile says (I don't believe that 65mpg figure - I think I must have mistyped that).

Pleased to get low/mid 70 british MPG on my MZ Trophy though! Wooo!

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I have never managed over 60 british mpg on my CX. Despite what my fuelly profile says (I don't believe that 65mpg figure - I think I must have mistyped that).

Pleased to get low/mid 70 british MPG on my MZ Trophy though! Wooo!
Jeez...
My RD350LC...maybe got 50mpg off the powerband and oiled pipes.....maybe 35-40mpg when it was given its due....😄

1 - 20 of 26 Posts