Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well all, I haven't been on here in quite a while, but for good reason. All last spring and summer, I had nothing but problems with my GL500. I'd fix one thing, and something else would go wrong with it. I spent a lot of time and money on my bike, and it seemed like the more I spent, the more problems it developed. I had help from a lot of you on this site to get her running, both via this site and in person, and for that I truly to thank you all for your wonderful assistance. In fact, the current issue is a fuel delivery problem, and I think it's all in the petcock, but since I've just completely hit my frustration limit with this bike, I just don't want to do any more work on it or spend anymore money on it, so I made the decision over the winter to give it to my co-worker who will be picking it up on Saturday. He knows of the problems and his brother can fix it, but he will probably just rebuild the entire bike, so know that the bike will be in good hands and will be on the road for years to come. And yes, I have told him of this site, but he doesn't get into these types of sites, so I can't guarantee he will be on here, but then, you never know.

Last summer, I purchased a dual-sport because I wanted to spend more time riding and lest time in the garage. I have come to like the new bike, which helped me in my decision. I will be purchasing a cruiser again within the next couple of years, but it will end up being a new, or a newer one. I typically don't mind the issues that come with an older vehicle, but when I can't depend on it to go down the street to the store, it's time to move on, I guess. I mean, I spent all last summer planning rides that I never once went on because the bike was so undependable. This summer, the dual-sport, though not as comfortable, will hopefully take me to those destinations that the GL500 couldn't get me to.

It's a sad day, and I will miss the bike as it was a great ride when it worked. I loved the ride and the feel of the engine when I opened the throttle. I loved the height of the seat and the nice air suspension complete with the low maintenance shaft drive. I just won't miss all the heck it gave me last summer.

Take care all, and ride safely,

Dan

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sorta felt like I was reading a breakup email or something.

Anyway, best of luck...I respect you for getting rid of the bike as a whole unit as opposed to parting it out, etc.

Just because you won't have a CX/GL doesn't mean you have to be a stranger around here.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
We've had this discussion before, you and I. - and I'm STILL of the same mindset...... COME BACK AND VISIT!!!!

Sad you're going, but you're still part of the fam.

Don't be a stranger

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
We've had this discussion before, you and I. - and I'm STILL of the same mindset...... COME BACK AND VISIT!!!!

Sad you're going, but you're still part of the fam.

Don't be a stranger
as WWW and DAK said,its good to see us eggets now and again,itl help you stay sane.lol

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Good luck with your dual sport. A lot of people get to that frustration point. The hard thing is getting over the hump. Many have chose your route. Don't forget to come by and say hi.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Enjoy riding, whatever you're on - take care.

Amen. Biker code right there.

My brother just did the same thing you have decided to do...except Im the lucky bastard that got his headache on wheels. Glad your bike is going to someone thatll give it the love it needs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I feel your pain. If working on a project isnt fun anymore then it is time to move on. It has to be atleast some fun to stay interested in it. I have several projects this has happened to me on. When there is no feel of acomplishment when doing something, it seems to drag us down. Sorry you are getting away from the GL. Glad it is going into good hands.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.