Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was younger and naieve and bought the story of "if it's under 50 cc's, you don't need an endorsement." Enter my Lifan 49.5 cc scooter. Great mpg, I live super close to my work, and affordable. Long story short after taking it to work once and around the block/ around town many times I was done with it. The main road on my way to work is fairly heavily trafficked and after experiencing my interactions with said scooter I was iffy on it. Did some talking to people, and then enter my need to look things up all the time. In Illinois, you need an endorsement from 1cc all the way up. The exception to this is if it's under 50ccs AND had pedals. There is no either or- it must fill both of those requirements. So MoPeds get by without endorsement. Dealership wouldn't take it back, claiming still no endorsement was needed (they don't sell scooters anymore) and rather than fight with them, I sold it outright.

Figured I needed the endorsement anyway and was tired of waiting for Troy's schedule to free up (already missed one summer waiting) I signed up by myself and took the class, had the endorsement put on my license. Little more than a year later went on Craigslist for giggles, found a 1982 GL500 that was going for $900, and everything but the horn worked. Talked to the guy, went to look at it, and 2 weeks later was bringing home a GL500 for $675. The ball fell off of my cartilege ring and I took the bike to the tattoo shop where I know the owner, Wolf, from working @ JC Whitney- in order to get a new ring. Pulled up among a bunch of Harleys and as I entered the shop he says "Nice bike"- we get to talking, and his wife wants to go out and see it. I get the ring, we go out and start discussing the bike and this forum..... with some seat options discussed. He said he'd look in his garage and see what he had. I got a call the next day to come take a look at a seat he had brought in so I took the bike and met Troy up there where Wolf had a seat from a Road King that was juuuust about perfect, just mounted differently and was a little shorter on the sides. Bought the seat for $125 and Troy welded up the necessary modifications needed for it. In the meantime started taking the bike apart to redo the dated and faded paint. Painted it black, found the luggage rack and saddle bags I want, (found a leak in the gas tank and fixed it via welding and sealing) and took the black body pieces to a friend of Troys' family who does great paint jobs... just for flames and clearcoat. He's a perfectionist and my first attempt at painting wasn't up to his specs (I really didn't think it looked bad...) so he said he's redoing the black before the flames go on.

Found silver and pink for the flames, found matching pink marine grade vinyl for the fairing pocket cover. Waiting to get it (back) put all back together and go out.

~MK

not mine, but that's what it looked like

What my bike looked like the day we brought it home

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
so did you ever get the parts back from the painter yet or not??? and i want to see pics

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
what the hell is that box in the very front were the headlight goes?? is it supposed to be there?? i know nothing of the gl line

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank You. I found a windshield that starts off black at the bottom and fades to clear as it goes up, which I might get... and was just looking @ the enginr restoration thread and considering getting some of that satin silver paint and doing some work of my own while the body parts are still off and away. Like, I was contemplating doing the grate in the frone that silver color- it would go with my paint scheme too. IDK what the box is in front. After reading and looking, I thought it held the wiring, etc if my bike had been naked. I don't know what this bike has looked like over the years so I'm not sure what conversions it's undergone- but it's just my guess.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
ok i think it might be ( little box up front) in fact the box that holds all the wires because of the fairing but i could be wrong

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you look @ the one pic - the kinda closeup of the front, the plug taped up and put of the way with the purple tape is the wire plug for the fairing

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yep, the box holds all the wiring connectors which would go into the headlight bucket if the bike didn't have a fairing.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I'm still thinking there has to be a better way to mount that seat but it would probably require cutting off the stock brackets and once that's done there's no going back. But as long as nobody is sitting on it then there's no worry. I would like to see some enclosure around it.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
possible diamondplate...... gonna see what it looks like all put back together. Kinda in a pissy mood (not really cranky.....) STILL haven't heard from the guy- tomorrow is 4 weeks he's had the pieces. Troy doesn't want me to call him...... doesn't want to irritate him- which I agree to that.... but I've reaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyy wanted to go riding, and I know it doesn't take him a lot of time to paint. I know he has work, etc..... so I'm trying to be understanding, and patient. However, I'm not known at ALL for being patient. The bf said if anything he'd call his brother and have him walk over to b.s. and check on the paint while talking to the painter about the boat he's painting for Troy's brother nest spring. told him he'd forget, or basically chicken out....... aaaaaaand, I was right. So I'm pretty bummed- it's the last day of football- so my season is finished now, and I STILL can't ride, and who knows.... I might not get a call til next May.

Anyway, if I get the parts back before I just decide to leave the rest of the damn bike in his front yard (well he has half and I have half- one is not good without the other...) we'll piece it all back together and we've talked about diamond plating those sides- just gonna see what it looks like first

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Lowlife.... I actually LOVE the fairing look- it looks like the GoldWing my dad had when I was little... and a little girls first hero is her daddy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.