Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
probably similar to check points here.not motorbike specific,but vehicals in general.

they all boil down to the same thing David.....tax collectors

i avoid them,as others do here like the plauge.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,264 Posts
The effort is part of a grant from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration...
More federal tax money being wasted to make your life less convenient.

R

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
It's transportational profiling,,seems unfair to me.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
These checkpoints do not address the fact that the majority of motorcycle deaths are not cause by the motorcyclists, but rather drivers of cars and trucks.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Sure sounds like profiling to me!

Only those guilty of something need to worry, otherwise what is the big deal?

Perhaps it will "clean up" those that abuse the system, ie: no proper license, non road worthy, excessive noise pollution,

DUI's, etc.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Like Trickster said, as long as your paperwork is up to date, they will be happy. Then, they can send the body parts to the proper address.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Motorcycles are also more popular now than they used to be and are easier to steal than cars.....this also would be a good way to catch some thieves and get the good guy's bike back.

As stated, check points shouldn't bother you if you are legal .....just make sure to hide your weed in your helmet
.....LMAO

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Sure I won't have a problem if I'm pulled over, but why should I have such inconveniance thrust on me in the name of motorcycle safety? I don't understand how that will increase safety, don't appreciate such incursions into my basic freedoms and don't like the federal government throwing money at a problem in such a nonsensical manner.

I agree with the AMA:

"Those questions, which have been posed by the AMA to Deal and other officials, include: How do motorcycle-only checkpoints increase the safety of motorcyclists? Where do states draw their authority to conduct motorcycle-only checkpoints? Is "probable cause" required to stop a motorcycle and, if so, what constitutes probable cause? "

Also agree with them here:

"The AMA believes that the primary source of motorcycle safety is in motorcycle crash prevention and not in arbitrarily pulling over riders and randomly subjecting them to roadside inspections," Moreland said.

I see it as a total waste of tax payer's money.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Sure I won't have a problem if I'm pulled over, but why should I have such inconveniance thrust on me in the name of motorcycle safety?  I don't understand how that will increase safety, don't appreciate such incursions into my basic freedoms and don't like the federal government throwing money at a problem in such a nonsensical manner.

I agree with the AMA:

"Those questions, which have been posed by the AMA to Deal and other officials, include: How do motorcycle-only checkpoints increase the safety of motorcyclists? Where do states draw their authority to conduct motorcycle-only checkpoints? Is "probable cause" required to stop a motorcycle and, if so, what constitutes probable cause? "

Also agree with them here:

"The AMA believes that the primary source of motorcycle safety is in motorcycle crash prevention and not in arbitrarily pulling over riders and randomly subjecting them to roadside inspections," Moreland said.

I see it as a total waste of tax payer's money.

I think I have to agree with you there, it's not so much that I'm worried about them finding anything, I know I'm legal and everything is in order.  It's the principal of the thing, and since I only ever use the interstate to go QUICKLY from point A to B, I don't appreciate having to pull over and sit through any type of check.  If it were up to me, I'd spend the money on something else, maybe invest it into more and/or cheaper motorcycle safety classes?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think I have to agree with you there, it's not so much that I'm worried about them finding anything, I know I'm legal and everything is in order.  It's the principal of the thing, and since I only ever use the interstate to go QUICKLY from point A to B, I don't appreciate having to pull over and sit through any type of check.  If it were up to me, I'd spend the money on something else, maybe invest it into more and/or cheaper motorcycle safety classes?

In my opinion you fellas are missing the point of the check. "You" know all is well with you and the motorcycle, but the

people doing the check don't know that. Perhaps a little more cooperation with these types of inspections would yield

more convictions of drunken unlicensed idiots driving junk on the streets, annoying the public with their penchant for

straight pipes with no mufflers blaring down residential neighborhoods at all hours of the night. Whew, my rant is done.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I don't think you need a checkpoint to figure out who has straight pipes,,if they want to pull those guys over they already have probable cause.

Also, I would think a lot more people drink and drive in cars than on bikes, much easier to do.

As far as the I have nothing to hide theory,,that may be true but why should the people in cars not have to be stopped too? An unsafe car or truck can do much more damage than an unsafe motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I don't think you need a checkpoint to figure out who has straight pipes,,if they want to pull those guys over they already have probable cause.

Also, I would think a lot more people drink and drive in cars than on bikes, much easier to do.

As far as the I have nothing to hide theory,,that may be true but why should the people in cars not have to be stopped too? An unsafe car or truck can do much more damage than an unsafe motorcycle.
agree 100%,your being conned.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
It's the camel's nose under the tent. This should not be allowed, or the State will just keep pushing it incrementally forward until we find ourselves pulling out or "papers" on every street corner to jack booted or smokey bear capped thugs of the state. This is unconstituitional, and the present powers that be seem to take great pride lately in stepping all over it every opportunity they get.

If an honest private citizen can't peacefully go down the road he paid for on a conveyance he paid for after jumping through all the hoops and paying all the tributes to the State required of him without being harassed by the State, it's a sad, sad state of affairs IMHO. May as well spend all year in the "third world", at least the weather is better.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Ridiculous. Sure glad I live in a state that trusts us. No helmet law, just eye protection. We had a helmet law for a while but they dropped it which was stupid in my opinion.

I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time and my eyeglasses qualify for the eye part.

Give them time though and things will change, we tend to copy the laws of the other states.

I don't even have a "Class M" on my DL but it made no difference to my insurance company, if I ever get pulled over there will be a small argument as I've legally got over 39 years of experience riding with a perfect record.

Let's see, 55 - 16 = 39? That doesn't even start with the Trail 70's and huge tractors at 6 which makes it 49.

I was driving tractors at 4 but not very good at it, when I got good at it I was brush hogging all day clearing the fields. My uncle didn't understand my fascination but he figured it out over time and free time for him.

·
Registered
507 Posts
 If it were up to me, I'd spend the money on something else, maybe invest it into more and/or cheaper motorcycle safety classes?

I agree with Kingston here.

I know I am doing everything within the limits of the law. If I am stopped I am always courteous and polite. I know they are just doing their job and I just want everything to go as quickly and smoothly as possible.

I think the main problem with most motorcycle riders is simply not having had the training or experience to know what to do in certain situations. Experience we can't do anything about as much but training we can. More and cheaper motorcycle training classes would help the general motorcycle public out greatly.

I am saving my pennies as we speak.

Be safe, keep the shiny side up.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
So, how does a MAC exhaust qualify? I'm betting this would be a violation. Just sayin', doesn't take straight pipes all the time. Pretty much anything non OEM is gonna raise a flag. I'm all for safety, but singling me out I don't like. I've got my papers in order and such, but profiling it is.

This would be fine with me if they had a car only day, etc., though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If i lived near there I would set up a MC ride.

All bikes and riders must be completely leagel, then set up a loop that brings us through the checkpoint. do it three or four times.

Love to see how they like 100 or more motorcycles at a time, with no violations. lol.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.