Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My Gl500 finally passed its safety inspection. The next step is insurance. I was on the ridersplus web site and they don't insure bikes over 25 years old. Any recommendations on a source for insurance?

Mike

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
There are not too many, but the best I found was Kingsway General Insurance CO. (which were bought out and now owned by Jevco Insurance Co.) If you want PM me and I can give the phone number and address.

G

·
I'm with Primmum(1-866 454 8911),I ended up getting my Gl650i cheaper with them then I did with Jevco,but in two years will have to go with Jevco as Primmum,will not do over 30 years.

I think I'm Approx $450 a year 50 years old ,30 years riding ,clean record..

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,407 Posts
Where did you hear that Primmum won't insure over 30 years old? I'm with them and my youngest bike is 28 this year so I am concerned about this.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Im with Jevco, first year $1100.00 as I had been riding 1 month at that point (only had M2) and now that I have an M1 it went down to $480.00 this year, 52 and not a perfect driving record lol. they dont seem to care about the age of the bike, only the size. Curious to see what they want to put the Gl1000 on the policy

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Im at the 401 right on the scarb/pickering border. Been reading up a lot on the GW forum and the clymer manual and getting ready to start work on it when I get a bit of free cash (and once I get the CX back and running if I dont break anymore bolts lol)

·
Super Moderator
18,407 Posts
Don't rely on just the Clymer manual. It is notorious for uncorrected errors. http://www.kichline.com/chuck/GoldWing/clymer.htm

Which GW forum? I'm on Naked GoldWings http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/ (BTW: NGW has a section for CX/GL500/650 bikes because so many members have or are interested in both.)

401 near the Scarb/Pickering border, eh? I grew up in Scarberia and lived in the Kennedy & St.Clair area until we escaped to greener places. I'm about an hour northeast of you in a little town called Woodville now.

·
Super Moderator
5,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went to a local broker and got insurance from Jevco. $581 for 1,000,000 liability. I've had my M for about 40 years but never owned a bike or had bike insurance. Clean driving record. I hope that I will get a better deal next year!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I also had heard that Primmum would not insure bikes over 30 years old,,,unless the bike was insured with them before it was 30 years old, then if it turned 30 they would keep insuring it.

I called them this spring and wanted to insure my 80 for the first time, I had had the 81 insured with them previously, I told them I had heard that they did not insure bikes that old and asked if it was going to be a problem. The woman said it would be no problem to insure the bike, but I needed to fax her a copy of the registration. It was something to do with the reg. number being a different format(less numbers??) on the older bikes and her computer was not set up to accept it.

I sent in the copy of the registration and now have the 80 insured and licensed this year. I live in New Brunswick and deal with Primmum's office in Halifax,N.S.

I don't know if it would make a difference being in Ontario.

Primmum is the lowest rate I could find for insurance,,I switched 3 or 4 years ago when my old insurer wanted close to 600.00 for the year,,Primmum is now charging me 274.00 per year.

G

·
I also had heard that Primmum would not insure bikes over 30 years old,,,unless the bike was insured with them before it was 30 years old, then if it turned 30 they would keep insuring it.

I called them this spring and wanted to insure my 80 for the first time, I had had the 81 insured with them previously, I told them I had heard that they did not insure bikes that old and asked if it was going to be a problem. The woman said it would be no problem to insure the bike, but I needed to fax her a copy of the registration. It was something to do with the reg. number being a different format(less numbers??) on the older bikes and her computer was not set up to accept it.

I sent in the copy of the registration and now have the 80 insured and licensed this year. I live in New Brunswick and deal with Primmum's office in Halifax,N.S.

I don't know if it would make a difference being in Ontario.

Primmum is the lowest rate I could find for insurance,,I switched 3 or 4 years ago when my old insurer wanted close to 600.00 for the year,,Primmum is now charging me 274.00 per year.

One more reason that I want to get away from Ontario and the "GTA"

·
Super Moderator
18,407 Posts
Many of us who have escaped from Toronto find inclusion in the "GTA" demeaning. Toronto seems to feel as if it is being magnanimous by including us but there are so many more disadvantages than advantages that we would be better off starting our own NTA (NOT Toronto Area).

·
Super Moderator
18,407 Posts
Where did you hear that Primmum won't insure over 30 years old? I'm with them and my youngest bike is 28 this year so I am concerned about this.
When I called Primmum to transfer the insurance back to the 650 I was told that, since they do not insure bikes 30 years or older, I would not be able to transfer the policy back to the '83 'Wing in the spring.

I guess I will be shopping around in the spring.

G

·
Just got my renewal from Primmum,which is,as of now owned by TD as the letter header shows...

My Policy went up $65(14.5 %),from last year....moved to RBC and am getting $2 million coverage for the same price as I was paying with Primmum last year.

$484 pl/pd $2 mil..or $438,1 mil,for 83 GL650i,clean record,I also have my 2 vehicles and house with them......

·
Registered
853 Posts
I just did the online check for both my bikes just for shits and giggles.

2004 KLR650 and the 1978 CX500.....$1040 for both per year.....with 1 mil. coverage and nothing else. I'm also retired and don't use it to go to work or school and they still beaned me! My CX won't be ready next year so I'll stick with who I'm with now...for my KLR at $568......it's still highway robery! IMHO! I also live 1 1/2 hours north of Toronto!

Thieves!!!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.