Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Motogadget M-button on their bikes? I wired mine in a few days ago and tucked it into the headlight bucket, and then stumbled across a video by the guys at Revival Cycle about the M-button and there was a mention that the unit is potentially sensitive to EMI / RFI (like from coils, spark plug wires).

Has anyone had issues with their M-button? Where did you secure it (handlebar, inside headlight bucket)?

m-button.jpg

·
Registered
409 Posts
no experience - BUT
the mbutton and the m-unit talk on a seial protocol over essentially one wire - this runs at a spped somewhere between a few khz to a few 100khz depending on the protocol they actually used -
so I would keep the wire that joins the two to each other as short as possible, and as far away from the igntion components as possible -

Rayman

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'm also going Motogadget with my build. M-unit blue, controls, etc. I thought about the M-button but then considered that if I have to run one wire back to M-unit, I can run a few. Also, the thought of everything communicating through one wire just FREAKED ME OUT!

But having said that....they do have some very clever goodies.

The whole point is to put M-button in head light so only one wire travels to M-unit, thus reducing wiring, so depending where your M-unit will be (mine is just behind tank) then you shortest route will be about 3 feet unless you can find a closer place. It will also go straight past the coils.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I got an e-mail back from Motogadget:

"I cannot tell you if the shielding of your headlamp (metal?) is sufficient. Also I don't know how much EMI your ignition is generating.
The most important thing is to use a correctly suppressed ignition. Usually this is done with original ignition parts, coils and - important: spark plug caps with suppressor resistor of 10k Ohm.
If all this will not help to make it work flawless you have to put it inside the handle bar."

I wish I would have known this before ordering. I have decided its not worth the risk and will be tearing up last weekend's handywork and re-wiring the bike, minus the M-Button. Boo!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Ehat about some emi shielding sleeve or other material for button and wire?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You can shield the wire with a braided cover and it would only need to be grounded on one end.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I haven't had issues with my M-Button, but having said that, I don't like the thin gauge wire used.

It's great from a 'space saving' side, but it makes me nervous because it's easily cleaved if it gets pinched.

It also doesn't really make things much better. You still need a feed and return from your switches to the button, so depending on where you mount it, you're doing 90% of the work except for about a meter of cable.

I wouldn't use it if I made my loom again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts