Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok you guys and gals will think im nuts but i dont care.lol i just bought a 1981 gl500 iam going to make a little monster car so i just need the engine and drive train..ok now,if any of you have done this or anything let me know i could really use some help on a rear end,like what to use and suggestions.also all i want off this bike is the drive train,complete bike here i will be parting out so let me know what you need for parts.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome, take the time to edit your profile to include your location so we can help better. Perhaps Phil in Lowgap has some ideas you can glean, since he has made several reverse trikes, some with car body parts.

You can find some info on him HERE

Other than that, I can't help ya much.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Soon we'll find out where your from when you update your profile. It will be interesting to see what you end up with. What monster truck are you going to fashion it after?

As for the parts, what color is the bike your selling the parts from? I'm looking for a certain colored tank that's in nice shape. What other options did it come with? Maybe you should post a couple pictures of it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
ok you guys and gals will think im nuts but i dont care.lol i just bought a 1981 gl500 iam going to make a little monster car so i just need the engine and drive train..ok now,if any of you have done this or anything let me know i could really use some help on a rear end,like what to use and suggestions.also all i want off this bike is the drive train,complete bike here i will be parting out so let me know what you need for parts.

Assuming your use of the word "car" means four wheels.

Me-thinks you must mean "Funny Car". 500cc's just does not blend well with "Monster"

A Ford Ranger rear end would be a good start for the drive train, a VW front end will give you the steering and suspension. You just need to design a frame between them that will include the engine mounts. Air bags and shocks for the rear.

I suggest you look at JZR designs for mounting the engine if you want a front mounted engine. Be sure to save the handlebar controls.

Remember, when you add two more wheels it is no longer a motorcycle and you will have to title it as a car, which in some states can be a real bitch.

Feel free to contact me with any questions. windjammer73 AT gmail DOT com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys,I will post profile and pictures later.have a project now but a very busy life also.lol..will have to figure out how to combine the two

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
I combined the 500cc's and Monster just fine.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Wow! That's some custom job! I gotta ask ... how did you redo the speedo & tach faces in that green color?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
Wow! That's some custom job! I gotta ask ... how did you redo the speedo & tach faces in that green color?

disassembled them, took the plates out and had decals cut to mimic the old numbers, but with the customized logos.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow that is a Monster Rod for sure..Iam located in Hedrick Iowa small town of 800..Here is a picture of the bike just a basic gl 500 to me.The tank is in way better condition then the picture shows,not really sure whats up with the picture.will try to get better ones soon

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks like the previous left a "zipper" scratch on your tank. May have been a BIG fella !!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lmfao no it was a skinny guy that thought it was a crotch rocket..yeah had to look at title sold to me as a GL but is a cx..dosent matter motor is comming out soon,i think i got it all figured out..still question the rear end to use? will it have enough stock power to pull a ford ranger or s10 rear?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts