Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching this forum for options when it comes to the replacement of the rear monoshock on my 81 gl500i. i have seen that some people say that a gsx shock will work, but they have clearance issues with the surge tank. i was wondering if anyone had tried a cbr rear shock withe the remote resevoir. i have seen lots of them on sale on ebay for about the same price as the gsx ones. Any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have been searching this forum for options when it comes to the replacement of the rear monoshock on my 81 gl500i. i have seen that some people say that a gsx shock will work, but they have clearance issues with the surge tank. i was wondering if anyone had tried a cbr rear shock withe the remote resevoir. i have seen lots of them on sale on ebay for about the same price as the gsx ones. Any help is much appreciated. thanks in advance.
see my post for xvs1100 shock. you guys aren't thinking about shaft vs chain unsprung weight. GJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi mr. gmc,

I recently put a 90 or 91 Katana 750 shock in my 81, had it out around the neighborhood the other day and it feels much better. Several pounds lighter than the air unit also, which is at least a step in the right direction. Mine came from a parts bike i bought for the forks, but they show up on the bay or katriders.com frequently, often $25-50. No clearance issues on install, just a couple washers on the mounting bolts and I can still adjust the 3 position setting fairly easily. Preload adjustment might be tricky however.

Have fun,

Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
I used a cbr 600rr shock on mine. With a small modification to the top mount it bolts right in, feels real nice when you sit on it. I even had to soften it up a bit. If you look at my post for gl cafe there are some pictures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.